Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Project help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Project help
James Coover
Visitor
Member # 77

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James Coover   Email James Coover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm involved in the expansion project of our local "tourist attraction" (Boot Hill). Part of the project involves the installation of 'Period' decorative fencing around the entire complex (rod iron with rustic limestone support post)They will be soliciting pledge money from the locals and these doners will recieve an engraved plaque for donations $500.00 and above. I have been commissioned to do these plaques..they will measure 8 in by 10 in.(apprx). They do not want to exceed $100.00 per...my initial thoughts were to have a stone cutter cut slabs and sandblast the prescribed names..my problem is..my plotters haven't the force to cut sandblast mask..I have to cut the mask by hand, after making a pattern with the plotter and pen...they may have 100 of these plaques to do....I was wondering if there is an alternative substrate and method for lettering these plaques??Mabey engraving???
The substrate would have to be durable, as they are permanent and exposed to the elements... and they would have to lend themselves to the Ole Western atmosphere...any suggestions?
Thanks

------------------

Posts: 111 | From: Joplin, Missouri 64801 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you already have the blaster and can get the stone slabs at a good price why not purchase the rubber from a wholesaler? Maybe even somebody reading this post??? Stone sounds like a great way to go.

Sounds like a stronger plotter is in your future.

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we use a long life exterior gold plastic engraving material called twoplex to mark all the trees and plants in our numerous parks and gardens we have hundreds of them out in the weather no problem so far

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not go with a cast aluminum plaque? There are many casting companies that advertise in the sign magazines that you could sub this out to.

Good luck!!

------------------
Tim Whitcher
Quality Signs & Design
107 E Adrian St
Blissfield, MI 49228
qualitysigns@hotmail.com

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErnieBalch
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You might consider ceramic tiles. These can be screenprinted with the donor's name and then fired. The result is a permanent weather proof custom decorated plaque. My screen printing equipment vendor explained the entire process. A local shop has been very successful making these donor tiles. I have a kiln and screen printer but I haven't tried it yet.

ernie

------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Wholesale Routing

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!