Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Chalk board source?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chalk board source?
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Heads,
I have a client looking for a "school house" style chalk board for their menu boards. We'll letter them up and the customer wil probably fill in the prices.
I heard of paint that can produce the same effect, but really looking for the genuine article.
Any help would be appreciated with either option.
Thanks in advance,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Classic Signs
South Plainfield, NJ
members.home.net/sign-it/
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home depot has a spray can which produces a chalkboard like surface....it is however..fussy about chalk.......too hard a chalk wil scratch.....
Sounds like you want a piece of slate......

------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551
Ontime @localnet.com

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 848

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Berry         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian...try a school supplier. They usually have that kind of stuff.

------------------
Mike Berry & Arene Luteman
Concord Sign Company
60 West Street
Concord, New Hampshire 03301

We support this awesome site....do you???

www.concordsign.com
mberry@totalnetnh.net
603-226-6500
FAX 603-226-4507
Toll Free 1-877-83SIGNS

Posts: 139 | From: Concord, NH USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Abner
Visitor
Member # 596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Abner   Email Joe Abner       Edit/Delete Post 
Try : http://www.tri-best.com/prod1.html

Good Luck...

------------------
Joe Abner
dba Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

Posts: 50 | From: Middleboro,Ma USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, The spray paint Michael mentions works pretty slick if the "real" chalkboards end up being too costly for the client to bear. The other day I was strolling through a closeout type store (Ocean State Job Lot) and came upon a bin of adhesive backed black "chalkboard" contact paper in 16" rolls. I didn't have a use for it, but was kind of surprised it was available. Maybe a Home Depot type store or a craft of wallpaper shop could locate it for you as an alternative.

Happy chalking

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail & Dave Beattie
Visitor
Member # 572

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gail & Dave Beattie   Author's Homepage   Email Gail & Dave Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dont u folks have chalk board vinyl up-over?
i luv the stuff
we buy it 600mm wide so anything that small we use vinyl on
we only use a spraycan chalk paint for small jobs and touch ups
on real big boards we use the same paint just spray it ourselves

regards
gail

------------------
Gail & Dave
Those strange Ozies
who eat TimTams and Pavlova & have been seen loitering around letterhead meetings since 1996

Insanity is hereditory....you get it from your kids!

Posts: 794 | From: 552 O'Regans Creek Rd Toogoom Qld 4655 Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darryl Gomes
Visitor
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darryl Gomes   Email Darryl Gomes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We make chalkboards all the time.. just go to the hardware store and get a can of Sheffields chalkboard paint. Spray the surface(we usually use Masonite®) with one light coat, sand with 400 paper and coat again.. Perfect chalkboard!!

------------------
Darryl Gomes...aka Lakeside
Tottenham Ontario Canada
www.primeline.net/lakeside

Posts: 296 | From: Underwood Ontario Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again People,
And thanks for the replies. We decided not to go with the spray can or paint it ourselves idea (sorry Mike Boone & Darryl). If & when this job
hits in a couple weeks, we'll be too busy with trucks to tie up the floor space needed to paint them correctly.
Good news though, I found a supplier about 30 minutes from the shop that can the boards to size (for an additional fee) & we'll handle the
rest.
Apparently there's two types of "easily accessible" chalkboard on the market these days. One being a composite material with a baked on
chalkboard finish & the other being a porcelain finish that is warranted for 50 years! The prices were, in my opinion, reasonable. About $80 for
a 4'x8' for the composite & $220 for the 50 year stuff.
B.T.W., Mike, if we get the job we'll do a little more research & check out school suppliers. We do have a few contacts in the schools in the
area. Joe A., I checked out the link you recommended & for orders outside California, there was a $1000 minimum, OUCH! Joe R.& Gail,
this vinyl that you mentioned sounds interesting. Eventually, this customer will have to change his prices. Rather than go through the
expense of painting new prices every year, maybe we could just send him a panel. Hmmmm.
Anyway, If we get the job, it sounds like it will be a fun one. I'll try to post updates on the progress - pictures & all. Man, this could be a great
step by step from production & pricing point of views. Let's hope we don't loose our shirts on this one.
Also, if anyone needs a source for this material, e-mail me & I'll give ya the info. These people don't advertise here yet
Havin' fun,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Classic Signs
South Plainfield, NJ
members.home.net/sign-it/
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the chalk board vinyl is great stuff so is the white board vinyl would be lost without it we have some guys that do some really magnificent chalk board menu art in chalk it is really good a great talent to produce this type of work with chalk can"t tell its chalk until you get real close to it really good

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!