Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » digital question... HELLLLLLLLLLLLP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: digital question... HELLLLLLLLLLLLP!
Christian Slager
Visitor
Member # 1074

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Christian Slager   Email Christian Slager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok...
here goes...

currently i design my digital orders...(which i didnt even do ANY digital before the beginning of this year, it was my new years resolution) and send them off to a local computer store, which happens to be owned by a friend of mines dad... and they have a big ole printer that they use to print out my stuff for me. its really taking off... and i want to get my own equipment...
it seems that the majority of my work is banners... and color logos for vehicles and stuff...

now ive heard a lot of people talking about "how they had a roland and something else and didnt make any money, but got an edge and its paid for itself in a month" and all kindsa wacky stories like that... and other stories about how the edges output lasts much longer.... and the cost of production for edge stuff is so much less than inkjet...

but daaaaang its expensive! ehehhe
and someone mentioned dicojet inks... supposedly have an outdoor life of 3 years, unlaminated... well i live in florida, so if they say 3, ill give em 2 max. and then i compaired output costs..... i have an Advantage Sign Supply catalogue, that says an edge print on high performance vinyl costs..... $1.83/ft.
and then i have the chart from GBC signwarehouse's webpage that says... a square foot print on high performance, using a chroma 24, or i signjet pro, with GO inks.. which seem to be the same price as the DicoJet inks... costs $1.86/sq ft.
so uhm, wheres the BIG difference?

it seems to be a logical ENTRY into the field... to buy like a chroma 24 with a bulk ink system and get the DicoJet inks? or am i reading my facts wrong? as i said, my major sales right now for digital does seem to be banners... which dont need to be die cut...... so i could just print em out on the chroma 24 and be done... and the few decals i do can be hand trimmed around (ive done it, if you know what you are doing, its not hard :-) point me in the right direction folks, im leaning on you! eheh later!
christian

------------------
Christian S.
Budget Signs & Graphics
5320 14th St. W., Bradenton, Fl
signs01@gte.net
ICQ# 41812133

Posts: 184 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're gonna do banners, I would recommend getting a piezo-head inkjet that'll handle at least a 36"banner. You don't need one that cuts AND prints, but it WOULD be handy.
Durability isn't normally much of a factor with banners, but getting them out fast IS...
and an inkjet should do the job.

------------------
Bob Burns
Bob Burns Signs
LETTERCRAFT SIGN SYSTEMS
www.lettercraft.com
1619 Oregon Ave.
Prescott, Az 86305
1-877-778-5879

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackie B
Visitor
Member # 186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackie B   Author's Homepage   Email Jackie B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what the lengivity of the banner required. If your're simply doing a quick fix banner for less than a year, ink jet is OK. but without UV lamination, your'e gonna loose business. Why not do vinyl? What kind of shop are you running? Design on inkjet or are you into looking at vinyl prospects? Vinyl will last much longer, plus the applications can be used for much more than just banners.
Good ol' airbrush and paint is the ultimate, but you need skill, not just a PC to create.
It really depends on the quality, ability, and where you want to go with your shop.
Expanding your horizons sounds like some good advice at this point.
Please don't take this wrong . . . but if you're only making inkjet prints at this point, I highly suggest alternatives and more education to produce a quality product.
You can easily find the education here, by simply asking.
the Bomb

------------------
Jackie Vaughn #5115
aka The Bomb
Volcano, California
www.spectrix1.com
email jackiebv@jps.net

Posts: 761 | From: Volcano, California, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jack
glad to hear someone else say Good old Airbrush and paints...I use them to the max and can reproduces alot of images alittle more time consuming. But the customer pays for it in the end and gets better life out of the banner..Hands on is what I say..

------------------
Raven/2000
Airbrushed by Raven
Lower sackville N.S.
deveausdiscovery@sprint.ca

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vinylman,

We have and Edge (3.5) years and it has made a big difference in our biz. It didn't pay itself off as quick as some of the others on the BB ...but it did keep us in business with new markets that opened up to us.

We are, just like you, looking for the right equipment to take us down the road the next few years. Digital printed banners are so hot and in demand that you an me are just going to have to take the plunge. But I want to be able to print a 4' x 8' sign(s) as well as smaller banners.

There is more work now with color photos on signs that airbrushers just cant do. Plus when a customer wants 10 banners at a time, you can't screw around with cut vinyl letters. We are finding the need to produce a 4'x8' sign in 1 hour....8 per day....and I'm sure that will be considered slow in a year or 2!

------------------
Go Get 'Em..... :)
AKA Raptorman on #Letterheads mIRC Chat
Draper The Signmaker
Bloomington Illinois USA

Proud 2-yr. $upporter of this Web Site (May 1999-May 2001)

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!