Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » 1-shot colors and Pantone colors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1-shot colors and Pantone colors
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm trying to create a swatch pallate of the 1-shot enamel colors using the PMS numbers. this way i can design in Illustrator using the PMS numbers that i know will match my paints (rather than trying to match the paints to the numbers afterwards). it will also help in printing out color samples or posting proofs to the web for the customer's approval -- they'll see the design in the colors i'll be painting with.

so, has anybody else tried this? i've been trying to pick the PMS colors closest to the 1-shot swatches, but if somebody else has done it already, then maybe i can just use yours and not re-invent a wheel.

if nobody else has this, then i'll post what i come up with in a few days.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves there is a PMS-One shot swatch book, with formulas.....though I specify Matthews only, they have all the PMS formulas and do PMS color matching in different sheens.
Rick

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mayo Pardo
Resident

Member # 138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mayo Pardo   Author's Homepage   Email Mayo Pardo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the COLORTONES color selector and formula guide (from 1991).

It's got an address of PO Box 3095, Walnut Creek CA 94598 and phone number 510/939-1129

I think it was being distributed through a lot of sign supply companies. When I bought it back then it cost $53.95 which was close to the same price as a Pantone chart.

The COLORTONES chart is all the colors you can mix using mostly bulletin colors of sign paint.
It's a little confusing at first, how to come up with the mix for a specific color shown in the chart, but it does work once you figure out what they want you to mix.

--------------------
EmpY
Mayo Pardo #138
South Elgin, IL.

Posts: 436 | From: South Elgin, IL | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
REMEMBER: Pantone colors are made for printing inks.
These are "translucent" colors
You and Empy are on the same line of thinking as to where to get and use a color matching system using "opaque" paints.
Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may not be relevant, but I remember reading in one of the sign mags.some years ago that someone was compiling a PMS 'recipe' book based on Chromatic lettering colors. This was way back when PMS only had like 200+ colors.

My one question is just how would you measure out the individual paints? Maybe a digital scale would be the trick.

CS

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i guess i wasn't clear at the beginning. i'm NOT trying to mix 1-shot to match PMS colors (i already do that). i'm doing the opposite -- i'm trying to find the PMS colors that match the 1-shot colors.

i design in Illustrator, and that software has all the PMS colors loaded. my inkjet printer does a great job of printing color proofs that are very close to the PMS numbers specified. so, if i know which PMS color matches "bright red" or "Kansas City Teal" then i can print out proofs for the customer that will pretty much match the paints i'm going to use.

am i the only one who does this?

--------------------

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scooter

What you could do is take your PMS chart & match as close as you can to actual 1-shot color chips. Now that's only gonna work if the PMS chart colors match the software's rendering of the colors. Just remember you can't exactly match inks & paints & RGB's.

The Colortone guide has pure colors listed but most likely does not include all the colors you're looking for.

Did that make sense?

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
Scooter,I am sure that this is just ME.....but I
always have the customer on my "home court"
Looking at my One Shot chip page to pick the color (closest) to thier needs!Trusting my judgement.
IF NOT....then the customer is running your business,NOT you.
Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What your talking about is an act of futility...but everyone needs to beat them selves up once in a while.

Think of it thisway ...if it were something worth doing you could find it anywhere.

Whoever created the pantone matching system single handedly made PMS the normal malady of all sign men and women...and should never be forgiven.

What Pat said about the difference in inks (tranparent) and paints (opaque) is true and rarely allows for matching no matter which way you are headed.

Remember too that even the printers (whos industry PMS colors were meant for) are allowed to be off on their spectrometers 10 percent either way (thats 20 percent you could be off)...none of my customers allow me that kind of variance...they want it "dead on".

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to get off the subject too far, but if you want to have fun, take a one shot color chart to a name brand paint store, and try to get a match in any of their outdoor acrylic latex paints.

No can do.......

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a fact Jeff..

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Colortone matching guide had been sold though Sign Craft Magazine. Unfortunatly the person who developed it and made them has passsed away, and it is no longer available. I was fortunate enough to buy one second hand through this great bull board. I use it whenever a customer wants a color other than out of the can. I charge them a $30 paint matching fee.

Diane Balch

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steven Vandervate
Visitor
Member # 3025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steven Vandervate   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Vandervate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always scan the 1 Shot chart, place it in Illustrator and sample out a new swatch set. Then just name each swatch with the corresponding number/name and save the document to your swatches folder under an appropriate name. Open a new document, load the 1 Shot swatches you just created and set the pallet to "persistent". I've done the same thing in Flexi as well, using vinyl chart scans...

Hope this helps,
Van

--------------------
Steven Vandervate
Hot Wheels Graphics
El Segundo, CA

Posts: 5 | From: CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Van -- i think you're the only person who seems to understand what i was talking about...

i'll probably just resort to matching the colors from the 1-shot chart to the PMS book by eye -- i'm not sure my scanner renders colors all that accurately.

i'm sort of suprised that nobody else has done this.

--------------------

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So What did I say?
I guess it doesn't matter.

I understand what you're trying to do. I just can't understand why. Like Pat & Monte stated, you're Never gonna match those colors anyway.

Most of us use the base 1-shot paints as a starting point & mix them together to achieve pleasing combinations of paint colors which enhance the final product. It would be tough to supply matching PMS #s for them. But, you do what you want.

I don't recall if I ever charted 1shots, but I did it with Prismacolor markers. This was before I got into computers. But I was more concerned with charting colors to their grey-scale value & using PMS #s as starting point for mixing.

As far as scanning goes, check to see if your scanner software has options to adjust colors prior to scanning. This may help.

------------------------------------------------

Well...actually Scooter.
Guess who did that about ten & a half years ago? Went to look at the chart & what do you think I found there in amongst my notes? I can't guarantee them as exact, but probably real close. Any newer colors wont be on the list. And there's still no guarantee that they'll match what you see on the screen. So, do I gotta re-type all this? Or should I just copy it? I don't remember how long it took but there's only 1 date on it. Looks like a lot of eye-strain there. [Smile] So, how much do you think its worth? I probably think its worth more because I charted both Chromatic & 1-Shot. You don't need'm both - do you?

But I think we differ on our reason why. You prefer to match Pms #s to 1Shot for customer approval. I used them for mixing purposes only.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!