Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Sign Foam on posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign Foam on posts
Richard Swartz
Visitor
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Swartz   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Swartz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that it isn't advisable to put a sign foam sign between posts - that a rigid board should be used as a backer to add rigidity and strength. For a custom shaped sign, what is the "best" material to use as a backer piece?

------------------

Posts: 101 | From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard

I use foam alone all the time. It depends on the size, thickness, & density of the sign.

Use MDO for your backing panel, cut it to size/shape, then poly glue or epoxy the signfoam to it, leaving a little overhang.

Use a flush trim router bit to trim the foam to the MDO.

Carve & finish as usual.

Tip: cover the edge joint with a strip of enamel receptive vinyl before the final finish coat & you'll never see that lamination.

------------------
SCP
spurcell99@mediaone.net
Cape Cod, MA

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Carper
Visitor
Member # 999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Carper   Email Ron Carper       Edit/Delete Post 
I use alumalite for anything over 3-4'.
No rotting problems, plenty strong. I had
broken signs with sign foam that wasn't stengthened.

------------------
Carper's Signs
594 Union School Rd.
Mount Joy, PA 17552
carpersign@desupernet.net

Posts: 157 | From: Lancaster, PA, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard.
Your question depends partly on size. I have installed two-inch-thick signfoam between posts with spans up to five feet, by four feet high, but I wouldn't go larger than that. I do take other steps though. On the side edges of the sign I epoxy a layer of fiberglass cloth. This gives those edges a hard "shell" for the lags to bite into. I also set up my posts with a cross peice below the sign (imagine a figure H, with the sign above the crossbar. This spaces the posts properly and keeps them parallel, reducing the stress on the sign. Don't count on signfoam as any sort of structural member. It will hold its own weight, but not much more. If you want I can e-mail you with some of my other concerns and solutions.

------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke (Hunter S. Thompson)

Cam
Finest Kind Signs
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To help improve rigidity, I use my router to cut a slot along the center of the edge of the board and then insert a "T" shaped piece of extruded aluminum. It is held in place with epoxy.

------------------
:) Design is Everything! :)
Glenn Taylor
in beautiful North Carolina
http://members.tripod.com/taylor_graphics

walldog@bbnp.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'T' extrusions mentioned by Glenn were recommended to me by one of the Coastal Enterprises guys.

Another method:
I you have a little welder, make a perimeter frame of square steel tubing. Insteading of trying to miter the corners, just let the top and bottom pieces extend beyond the sign on both sides. Then butt-weld the vertical sides pieces between the top and bottom. I use long stainless steel screws through the steel frame into the edge of the HDU all around. The extended ends of the top and bottom can be set in brick columns for a nice look. Of course, this only works on rectangular signs.

I usually use inch-and-a-half or two inch tube, depending on the foam thickness, but one inch works fine, too, and is available in aluminum at the local yard.

Brad...in Arkansas?

Or has my house been somehow transported to Minnesota? I didn't think we were supposed to have white-outs here. Most people here don't even know what one is. They think it's a brand of correction fluid.

You'll never believe what I just saw. Moments ago I heard some hollering out by the highway at the end of my drive. I stopped typing to go to the front door, and through the heavy snowfall I could barely make out two females trying to get into either side of an idling pick-up. They were both screaming. As I stood in my open front doorway I caught the words, "We're gonna die!" Was this a domestic dispute? Was someone sitting in the cab with them locked out?
Before I could even open the door and ask them if they needed a phone, they both jumped over the sides into the bed and started kicking at the back window. Then one spied what looked like a tire iron, and in three solid blows, bashed in the sliding back window. The skinny one slipped through and unlocked the door for the other one, who got behind the wheel, and they drove off.
This whole scene couldn't have consumed more than four or five minutes. And apparently it was not a dispute, just an honest-to-God Panic Situation.
I'm glad they were bundled up 'cause they had a cold ride home.

------------------
Brad Ferguson
4782 West Highway 22
Paris AR 72855
501-963-2642
signbrad@cswnet.com

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!