Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dress Clothes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dress Clothes
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here's a challenge : This one possibly applies more often to those who've involved painting in their sign work. What's the shortest amount of time that you've gone to the shop in a new pair of slacks or jeans, without getting any paint on them ? In my experience, it's always tempting fate to wear any good clothes to the shop. Inevitably, no matter how careful you are, there's always that single drop of paint that's determined to find a home on your good apparel.

I once had a boss who would get a paint drop on his suit pants, blot it up as much as possible, then mix up a color to match the fabric, as closely as possible, then paint over the mishap. It frustrated the dry cleaners, since there were always these hard spots they could never get out.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2713 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It eventually happens. You think, "Oh I will be careful etc" And then it starts with you knocking a small cup of paint on your shoe, then paint on your bench that you thought was dry, gets on your sleeve. You forgot to write Fire Extinguisher Inside on a truck. No big deal, so wipe out some paint and get it done. But your palette somehow gets too close to your chest, and you got paint on your shirt. By now you have gotten too comfortable, so what do you do? Wipe your hand on your pants. It's over by now, now you have new painting clothes.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4099 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading a book about C.S.Lewis when he was teaching at Oxford, and a couple in his class that decided to get married and buy a new car. In the dealers showroom, after they paid for the car and were about to drive away, she pulled a small hammer out of her purse and together they held the handle and hit the car with it. They wanted it to be comfortably dented. I often think about the things we can do to relieve anxiety in life and this story comes to the top.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6997 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that I'm a somewhat slow learner. It wasn't until my second letterhead meet that I received an adjustable painting apron as part of the grab bag package, that I began using one. Remarkable how it prevented stray paint from getting on my clothes !
As I look over those aprons, I can see just how much paint splotches they've prevented. Why didn't I see their value before ?? Old dogs can learn new tricks .

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2713 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember who wrote it but there was an article in SignCraft a long time ago by a shop owner who had his work clothes divided into four categories. Good clothes for sales calls and days when not painting. His paint clothes were divided into:
P1s. Good clothes with maybe a spot or 2 of paint for generally wearing around the shop.
P2s. For most sign painting days. They had some paint on them, but OK looking.
P3s for really dirty work. Really bad.
He happened to wearing the P3s one day when the head of the local University whose work he had been soliciting walked into the shop.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1112 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I get paint on my clothes is when I am painting next to Bill Diaz or Tom Durham:)

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2368 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not neat. Since I work by myself and rarely have walkin
Customers, I automatically put on the grungies. I also have a few
Lab coats from past employments that I wear over top when painitng or when I used to screenprint. Gloves are a must! Paper towels always handy.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1745 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely get paint on me, and I paint daily...but I could destroy a sweatshirt within an hour of grinding or cutting steel.

Most of my shirts and hoodies have destroyed left sleeves and cuffs from spark burns.

Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1945 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m relieved I’m not the only one.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4402 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!