Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Makeshift....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Makeshift....
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a new sign to install an hour and a half drive down the coast from here. There was a sign on these two 6x6 posts that needed to be removed first. All I had to go on were photos. It was a multi level rusted steel with stainless letters sign. There were square caps welded on to it that slid onto the tops of the posts about seven or eight inches. It weighed better than four hundred pounds and had been on those posts for twenty years.This was a remote location and I had no way of getting a boom truck there to lift it off the posts. How would you have removed the sign?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6897 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would first think, "How was it first installed? A couple of strong men?" Worst case, you dig up the posts, and lay down the sign. After you get your strenght back, you unhook the sign from the posts. You chain up the sign to your truck and pull it off. Stand up the posts and put the new sign on. Gonna look funny driving back with that sign chained up to your truck,,,, bring a low flat bed trailer.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4016 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you removing the Post's and replacing with New Post's ? If not, maybe take 1" Square Aluminium, make a Frame, pop rivet the face to the frame and install on top of the existing Sign

If you can post a Picture of the Project it
will help with suggestions

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 239 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, if we saw the photos you were going by it would be helpful. Since you are asking how we would have removed the sign, I'm assuming you didn't go over it. From the few details you've given, I would've gotten out some grinders and cut the sign off the posts anyway possible to get it down safely.

[ August 28, 2021, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
New Milford, Connecticut, USA

GBoros@SignworksStudios.com

Posts: 277 | From: New Milford, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember how to put photos on here any more...I'm sure I could figure it out soon. I brought a grinder and cords and sawsall and blades to cut the ends, but decided it looked to dangerous to cut it because there would be no way to control it.

I brought a 4x4 post that was 14' long and screwed a lag eye into one end, ran a rope through it and tied it to the center of the sign and tied the sign to the post trying to make them one unit. Then I placed a block on the ground and my hi lift jack under the post. I was able to raise it this way until I could get it to rest atop the posts. From there I set the bottom of the post against one of the sign posts and hook the other end to the back of my truck and pull the sign over. It worked perfectly.

There was an electrician there that was finishing setting these lights on the ground around the area to light the new sign and I didn't wipe out any of them.

This was one of those projects that I couldn't properly plan for. I couldn't see it before hand, didn't know the workers and resources in that area, and couldn't just run back to my shop to get something.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6897 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, Rick - that must have been some day !!
yeah, some photos of the whole thing would have been very educational.
glad you are not reporting any injuries.

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 829 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!