Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » And she said Gold leaf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And she said Gold leaf
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh joy, oh joy, the lady wants her sign to be gold leaf. Gonna bid on a job for some Gold Leaf signs which may be, dare I say it,,, Water Guiled Windows. I'm gonna even bring my little Glass Guiled samples. Let's see how it goes and I hope I don't screw up.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4007 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, how often does that happen? I am sure you can handle this, you are a professional. I think I have done three or four gold glass jobs in my career. A big advantage for me was that I was the only one who could do it. Price it adequately.

I read a Signcraft article years ago (I believe authored by Mike Jackson) about an older sign painter (whose name I cannot remember). He specialized in gold work and serviced a lot of banks. If he was dealing with a banker who balked on cost, this guy would just say, "I understand if you can not afford this level of work". That always got him the job. I have used that line a few times with lawyers and it works!

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 622 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
probably AL Grand

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6885 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Parrish. I think he used to say "I'm gonna rob a bank" Well the job will have gold leaf on the signs. But because the building is still in construction, as time goes by, I may on interior widows, opps, windows suggest some gold leaf. Outside round signs will be hung off some restored antique exterior brackets. So I want them to be about 2 inches thick, but light weight, but not so light that even a 5 mile a hour wind will blow them around. And not sandblasted redwood. It wouldn't look right for the building. The building is made to resemble a 1900 Carrigge House and it is called the Carriage House, 3 stories tall. I even thought of power coated steel for the base with acrylic letters, or maybe DiBond over 1.5 in foam. They will be round shaped signs, 2 0f them at 36" by 36". I'd like them to look as if they came straight out of 1900 Chicago. Here at my shop, I just finished up lettering and pinstriping a 1980 single horse carriage. No flames. It has traditional striping almost like what you would see on a antique fire engine. 24K Gold leaf scrolls and lettering, pinstriping done with metallic gold and marron paint. It's gonna go in the entrance at the Carriage House. What's it called? The Foyer or something?

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 4007 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Opps, that's 1890 horse Carriage at my shop. It was made in jolly old England.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Now I'm thinking wood frame covered with DiBond. Also add some pre-made decorative elements, such as some antique looking drawl puuls here and there. Maybe a big round one at the bottom to secure the outside DiBond or thin alumunin wrap.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Steven Parish who had the key's
to the Bank's in the Mid-West. I saw an
Interview of him saying: "If you want
to make Money, deal with people who have Money.
Bank's always have Money "

However, the Bank's trusted him so much,
they gave him the Key to their Bank,
to allow him to work after hours

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 235 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a fun project.

Dimension and gold, steel work...that just sounds fun.

Can't wait to see this come come to life!

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1925 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!