Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » painting on concrete

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: painting on concrete
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been asked to paint some letters and graphics on an interior concrete wall. The surface is bare, unpainted concrete. It appears in a photo to look very smooth. The graphic has a stripe in it which I am assuming will have to be freehand painted since tape will not stick tightly to concrete. I have other concerns also. Is there some kind of clear sealer that can be used that will help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1299 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jean,

If you use a good high quality latex masonry primer, followed by a high quality acrylic latex paint you should not need a clear coat. If you use a good high build primer you may even be able to tape for the stripe.

I have exterior wall signs 20 years old that still look good. I personally use Sherwin-Williams products, but I am not going to try to tell you they are the only ones that will do the job.

It IS best if the block is at least 30 days old(one year is even better) because the block, and the mortar tend to release gasses that don't play well with any paint.

Water based paints last a LOT longer on masonry.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2329 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, I just realized that you said Concrete wall, not concrete block, but everything is still the same.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2329 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!