Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » This is weird

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is weird
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I scanned some new 100 dollar bills, about 6 of them. I was going to make some digital prints. But the scan showed a message that the currency cannot be "Messed with". I tried to edit it in Photoshop and the Photoshop just froze up. Had to do a re-start. Then I brought the image into CorelDraw. Same thing, it just shut it down. Isn't that weird? How does the computer know that it is money?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3850 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch-out big brother has you on their radar.

[ July 24, 2019, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Brian Dish ]

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 163 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran into this several years ago. I was told that the new bills have something printed that the printer reads, and tells it not to print them. If you resize by 30%(I think)it will allow you to print. If you use the old bills, or you can find an OLD enough printer that still works you can still print them at normal size.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2290 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is too cool !!!

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6740 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had done some prints like this before using the old bills. The finished prints are used to place coming out of your gas tank, car door or whatever. No problem with the old bills. But, the new bills have something,,,,I even put the pic of the scanned bills on a DIFFERENT computer (Windows 7). I imported it into CorelDraw and when I tried to save it, Boom! "CorelDraw is not responding message came up.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3850 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think it has everything to do with all the 'smart' gadgets, phones, appliances etc. everyone thinks we need.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 594 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I try taking a photo of a $100 on high resolution with my smart phone, will the phone call the FBI before it shuts down?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6740 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty wierd. Reminds me of a story my nephew told me recently. He showed me a photo of a prison somewhere in the U.S., I forget where. He said it's a federal offense to take photos of the prison, even from the road. I wonder how many people are in there for taking photos of it. Now your camera probably shuts down.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1054 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Combine that with facial recognition, geez no one is getting away.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ayy, I ain't giving up on this peach. I'm still gonna try to break the code and print it!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not weird at all, it's by design.

According to this web site "Why your scanner freaks out when you try to copy money;

Nothing happens because most modern scanners recognize money and won’t copy or print it, according to a clip posted online by Wendoverproductions.

How do the scanners know? One way is a hidden pattern called the Eurion Constellation, which is found on banknotes issued all over the world:

When a scanner spots the pattern, it stops.

But there’s also a newer and even more secretive system called the Counterfeit Deterrent System, and it’s so effective that photo-editing software will often refuse to open a file that contains even a small piece of an image of a banknote.

So there you have it Alicia. You may have a very difficult time doing this. Here's a link to the site with a video.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/counterfeit-money-eurion-constellation_n_576a3aa8e4b0c0252e77b6c4

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5406 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be possible to take a Photograph of
a New Bill then Print it ?

kb

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 230 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

You first!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just scanned and printed a $20 bill with no problems. My scanner-printer is s Brother and first came out about 3 years ago, I think.
Maybe the gvmt allows you to scan money if you're older than 85 because they know you need the money.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 913 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

The 100.00 dollar bills I scanned were the new ones with all of the pretty holographics all over it.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny they have facial recognition software that can find Jason Bourne's face at 3:00am in a crowded Russian train station under a 3 watt light bulb , but they can't make a cash machine understand you just inserted a five dollar bill with a bent corner!

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 221 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shutterstock.com have half a million dollar bills

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1184 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Now that is interesting.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's funny they have facial recognition software that can find Jason Bourne's face at 3:00am in a crowded Russian train station under a 3 watt light bulb , but they can't make a cash machine understand you just inserted a five dollar bill with a bent corner!

Love it!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5101 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!