Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Whaaat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whaaat?
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to tell you a story to explain my question. It may offend some of you, I don't mean to, but that's just the way it is. Fortunately I'm not running for a spot on the Supreme Court.
My best customer has grown and has hired a nice (beautiful, not that it has any bearing)young lady to handle his "graphic needs". She uses her phone for almost everything. She has a computer at work but she doesn't use it much.
K asked me today for a "high quality vector pdf." file of their logo. This is not a logo at all but a collection of logos and type. It was interesting because I had sent her my work in a vector .pdf form several months ago. She thought it needed to be processed somehow into a higher quality of .pdf.
Here's my question(s):
1. I thought that a vector file "is" since it is all points and arcs. How would one make it higher quality? Any size it is is still points and connecting lines. Can't get any better than that, can you?
2. I thought a .pdf file was an envelope that makes the parts usable in different graphic environments (read: programs). I've been sending .pdf files so that others can read and display the files in Word, Office, Corel, etc. Are there settings like dpi in the pdf format?
3. Does a phone display squish or modify a piece of art and render it cruder? Is this part of the problem since I am using my computer to show the artwork?
I have more to say but lets leave it at that for now. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PDF files can include vector images and/or raster images.

The vector images will retain their quality no matter how they are imported.

The raster images will/might lose their quality as they are enlarged.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people have programs that work with vectors on their phones? Is she a blond millennial?

[ October 05, 2018, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you were fired. I wouldn't worry with it, tell them that you have sent everything you have and be done with it.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it was all vector to start with she should have no problem with an actual vector program....corel, adobe ill, inkscape, etc...
Sounds like the program on her phone isn't capable.
Convert all fonts to curves, then save as a pdf with the "editable" box checked, so it isn't read only.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it appears that she didn't know what a vector is/was. Perhaps she thought it was a weather related thing. I believe she just repeated something a vendor asked for, something to do with feather flags and an ezup tent. She settled right down when I told her it was already a "high quality" vector file. I just asked here because technology changes so darn fast that I thought I was maybe behind the curve. the file was acceptable. Her phone does not have a vector capable program. She's just another troubled millennial.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the explanation Gerald. It seems crazy that someone hired to handle "graphics needs" didn't know the difference between file formats. Maybe her appearance was the main reason she was hired??? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with George.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!