Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Renovating/refinishing bronze plaques

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Renovating/refinishing bronze plaques
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been asked to quote on renovating/refinishing 15 cast bronze plaques. They are on walls and cannot be removed. Some are nearly 100 years old, others maybe 25 years. They range in size from about 8x10" up to 3x4 feet. I have sold quite a few of these over the years, using Gemini to cast or machine them for me. They use a baked enamel on the background. That won't be possible here. Most are outdoors, some indoors.

The process is basically, clean well, paint, sand raised areas to expose new bronze. Clear coat (maybe).
I would like to bid on this. I think I can do a good job but have never done this and don't have a plaque to practice on. My first concern is this: Is a good quality canned spray paint going to adhere well to the backgrounds?

I actually like them aged looking but they are difficult to read. One idea is the leave the patinaed backgrounds and just sand the raised areas. My only concern with that is I am inevitably going to sand parts of the background and would not be able to fix that, so painting the background is probably the way to go. I did find a YouTube video that says use laquer on the backgrounds. I'm not sure why laquer is used. Is laquer even available in a rattle can?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chuckers, splendid SC article! Truly impressed me and made me glad for you. As far as the plaques go, why not talk to someone with the plaque dept. at Gemini? I also wonder about doing the reverse of how you're thinking. What if the letters were sanded anf followed with a thin coat of spraylat on the surface and then spray background and water blast off the latex?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Rick. It is exciting to be featured in SignCraft!

I have talked to Gemini. All they could tell me was they use baked enamel. I did find out that Matthews offers a refinishing kit. They are sending me info.

I'm not sure I follow your Spraylat idea. I have used Spraylat to cut and paint signs but not on raised letters.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done these plaques before.
Washed them, scuffed with scothbrite (destroyed scotchbrite)
sprayed with 2 part epoxy, sprayed background, redid the raised lettering with foam roller (using a press method instead of rolling) waited a couple days and then urethane cleared whole mplaque they came out great and last I saw they were still looking good, this was well over 12 years ago

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clean, paint the plawue ... then use one of these to sand the raised part!

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Tools-Rigid-Sander-8038-231/dp/B074F3LG9J/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1530457921&sr=1-1&keywords=flat

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Si.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that automotive base coat sticks real good.
then sand the letters and clear coat.
That's what I would do.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!