Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Remember me? Gotta question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remember me? Gotta question
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!
I am taking on a job to renovate an existing copper sign panel frame for a church. Historic unit, and has weathered ... slightly distressed with greenish patina ... but not enough, or in a way that is appealing.

Here are my questions.

Can the copper be brought back to a state where it is not shiny, but uniform. If so ... how?

Can, or should I instead try to make it age further to the greenish patina. If so, how and what products should I use.

There are two lanterns that someone has aged to a greenish patina entirely. MY last question is ... can something that has been aged to green patina, be brought back to a dull copper again.

I always seem to get the odd jobs, but hey ... I do it to myself, so I must like to stretch myself. haha

Thanks for any help. I know some of these questions are a bit out of the ordinary. That's why I brought them here. [Smile]

Hope all of you are well. Been a long time since I have logged onto this site.
I am still in the sign / graphics biz. It's still serving me well, and keeping the bills paid.

Cheers everyone!
~ nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steel wool will make it shiny, beware and take precautions, copper oxides are poisonous.
Sublimed sulfur will make it oxide to green, and thats another stuff that needs precaution.
Maybe sub it out to some metal workers, like roofers, drain makers or coppersmiths.

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asked a coppersmith, he said they used waterdissolved ammonium,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_chloride

and the they did not brush it clean before they made it green. Just poured ammoniumwater over it and left it there to dry.
Beware of the ammonium gases, hard on the lungs,do it outdoors upwind and wear a mask for organic gases, gloves and eyeprotection.

[ October 19, 2017, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: stein Saether ]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Janette,
I have cleaned copper with lemon juice and salt. It gets bright almost immediately but tarnishes again very quickly. The weird thing is on a piece I have, it goes from shiny to strange purple and green shades in a couple of days, then tarnishes brown.
I don't know of any way to take only part of the tarnish off. Maybe just lightly steel wool.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nettie...Nice to hear from you again.

When you first posted the question, I was hesitant to reply because my experience with cleaning and aging copper was restricted to my days in the Boy Scouts about 60 years ago! (Yeah, I AM an old phart now! [Roll Eyes] )

I do recall using steel wool for cleaning the copper and I remember using something that smelled like rotten eggs to give it a patina, so it was probably some kind of sulfer based liquid, like Stein mentioned.

If I wanted a nice patina that would remain the same, though, I would probably be spraying it with a matte finish UV resistant clear coat once the desired finish was achieved.

Hope everything is well with you, Shirl and I are still going strong. When we are at home in the summer I see your "Letterheads on Main Street" panel every day as it hangs proudly in my computer room.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nettie,

I know nothing about cleaning copper, but just wanted to say... It's good to see yer smillin face again.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hello!

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Nettie, Hey, we're all glad to hear from anyone out there,,,really!!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sculpt Nouveau will have the products you need to go with a patina if you decide on that route. Much safer than some of the other products mentioned. Call them, I'll bet they will have some answers for you.
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sure is so nice to get some "hellos" here ... as well as some feedback of course.

I am rather nervous about this job. The cabinet is historic, and I'd sure hate to ruin it.

It may be something I should step away from. I figure I will call Sculpt Nouveau first and ask some more questions. Maybe investigate some Metalsmiths in town ... if they still exist!

I am also at a loss as to how to estimate for all of this. If I do decide to take it on, I think I'd better lean on the high end. haha

Wish me luck!

I spend more time on Facebook now, and I never have been able to manage spending much time on more than one forum. But still check in here every so often. I do miss our little community. Sad that we are losing some.

Time flies!

~ nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!