Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Quills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quills
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a few of my lettering quills need to be replaced. I have always used Mack quills and have been satisfied. The only company that delivers to my remote area only carries Scharff quills which in the sizes I need are actually double the price of Mack quills. So I was wondering if any of you have used both to compare to let me know if Scharff quills are worth the extra money.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ordered directly from Mack. 517 849-9272

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002946283913

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both, and I wouldn't trade any 1 of my Macks for any 2 Scharffs.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to his website OP, but where can you buy the brushes? In US??

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have to order from him........
call or email...
+44 7703 372182
Email
thebrushman@hotmail.co.uk

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call Letterhead Sign Supply in Petaluma, CA.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don gave me the answer I was looking for. Thanks Don. I know where to get them. At double the price I was simply wondering if I was missing something since I've never owned a Scharff. I'll stick with Mack and save some money.

BTW, any of you guys & gals that are wondering about the water based quills by Mack I can tell you they are GREAT. I've only used them with Porter paint and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work well (or any other brush) with paint with consistency of pudding like Benjamin Moore and Nova Colors, but with Porter there was little difference between pulling a stroke with One Shot on a standard quill. The only thing I've found is you need a brush for each color because you lose all the snap when you wash them out. Once dry the snap is back. And the paint cleans out of them easily.

[ August 05, 2017, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I dropped out of the circuit in 2007,
I oiled all my brushes and put my sign box
in storage. I got it out yesterday to
get the spiders and junk out of it and . . . .
all my good [Langnickel] quills #6 and larger are gone.
a couple of books of gold are gone, the gilders tip
is gone.

looks like I will be spending some $$.$$ to restock the box.
I guess this is the time to get some water based Macks. I have one Mack 2179-8 left.

moral to this sad story is never let your kids borrow your sign box !!!!!

oh - the GOOD side of the story is that I still have a "new" 1/2 pint can of LeFranc Slow Size
that actually contains LEAD !! not only is it rare, but, our very dear friend and colleague,
Rick Glawson, gave it to me about 20 years ago. it has very sincere sentimental value.
I will be using it to gild my granddaughter's name on the back of my boat to see if it is still viable.

[ August 18, 2017, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya need brushes and other real sign stuff? Try these places,,,, Brushes n Stuff

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow - thanks Alicia !!
I jotted down the names in between
the epileptic seizures I had while watching
the camera buzz around like a bumble bee with one wing !!!
other than that - great info indeed. thank you.

[ August 20, 2017, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!