Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Resurrecting my old Roland Camm-1 950

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Resurrecting my old Roland Camm-1 950
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I closed my sign shop in GA,
I wrapped my Roland plotter in Saran Wrap where it has sat untouched since 2002.
Got it out this week to see if it is salvageable and the friction wheels are mush. (which are replaceable).
I still have two old desk-top tower computers that are still working. That is where my art programs are.
I found my Corel Draw 8 disks and they are scratched pretty bad and won't work.

so - being a complete computer dufus, is it possible to get the old Roland plotter routed to my Dell laptop?
- or - would it be easier on my brain and more economical to just sell this one on ebay
and start over with a new 24" plotter and art program for the 21st Century ???.

Basically, it will be used to make full size paper patterns and the occasional paint mask.
so all the stuff that comes in the "bundle" is not really needed.

[ July 19, 2017, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the PNC-950 driver is still available on the roland driver site to cut FROM COREL. now as for running from you dell....WHAT operating system is it? and COREL 8......IS never gona work past WINDOW XP.
YOUR DELL if its WIN 7, 8, 8.1 10..........YOUR GONA NEED AT LEAST AN x version of corel. 5,6,7 or 8.
if your old puters are running 98, XP and the corel 8 is on the hard drive.....it should work to the plotter.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have similar setup- a 1995ish Roland PNC-960 CAMM1, it is hooked up to an old Dell computer running XP that is connected to my network- the printer and driver is shared over the network. I have a newer Dell computer running Win7- I design something on it in Corel X6, and then just select the network printer "Roland CAMM1" and it cuts directly from the network.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the workaround print driver I have installed is CX-24, which works fine

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah - my big tower desktop is Win-XP and my Dell laptop is Win-7.
I will crunch the numbers and probably just get another system and start
from scratch with a new system and bring myself into the 21st Century

but honestly, there is nothing wrong with the 20th Century that I live in now LOL.

Thanks for the input !!

--------------------
John Smith
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John..

Both Joe and Michael are correct. There are "ways" to get your cutter up and running fairly easily.

But, as you say, crunch the numbers and see if it is worth it to upgrade to the newer technology and get back into business.

I've been retired for 10 years and have no intention of re-entering the business but I have kept up with newer tech. We run Win 10 on all our computers, I use Corel X7 now and will be upgrading to Corel 2017 next month. I do, occasionally, miss having a Roland cutter mostly for using it as a pen plotter for creating patterns for friends to use.

I always tried, and still do, try to keep up with current technology. It makes the transition a lot easier! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COREL 8 WILL RUN ON win 7. but you saying your disc is all scratched ......i still have X3 running on my WIN 7 setup with the roland driver but i have a CX-300.........and no issues cutting right from COREL X3 or X7.......
you can pick up a COREL X5, 6 or 7....anywhere from $40 to $100.00 now that COREL 2017 is out iam sure you can find deals on X7 or X8.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe..I always have respected your info on all things related to CorelDraw/Roland.

But why do you always downplay someone buying a new Roland cutter and upgrading to the newest CorelDraw Suite the newest operating system?

If I were new to the business, I would embrace all the new stuff.

We're not talking "mega bucks" ...Maybe $3000-4000? easily paid for in a month or two of jobs?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

DAVE.....WTF are you talking about????
WHERE IN THAT HEAD OF YOURS did i ever say any of that????
i am answering johns questions........NOTHING MORE!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Some new stuff is just not as versatile- My Roland cutter is old, but I also don't use it much, so I can't justify the expense of replacing a perfectly working machine. I have a large format HP laser printer that won't work on some of the newer PC operating systems... not a lot of newer options to even replace it. Both pieces of equipment work great on an older system (in this case a XP). I have found a way to continue to use them thru my network, along with some newer equipment- win7 and win10 computers. So it is possible for John to be up and running and do everything (and more) that he is wanting to do for a very minimal investment. Corel has several solid versions that will do just about everything you could ever need it to do- most of the new versions have very minor upgrades.

John- a free downloaded driver loaded on your XP machine, hooked to and shared to a home network, some version of CorelDRAW installed on both the XP and Win7 machine- you are in business...

If you decide to do something else, don't just toss the old cutter- I may know a guy that would give you something for it.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Thanks guys - I guess the part that I just can't wrap my head around
is the getting the 25 pin jumbo cable from the plotter/cutter to the laptop USB.
and again, my current interest is only for paper patterns and maybe a paint mask now and then.
not a full fledged sign shop..... I am R-E-T-I-R-E-D !!

I'll figure it - thanks for the options !!

[ July 20, 2017, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kissimmee, Florida

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

THEY MAKE AN ADAPTER....
https://images10.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/12-196-222-04.jpg?w=660&h=500&ex=2

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!