Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cast plastic plaques (with a reasonable amount of detail)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cast plastic plaques (with a reasonable amount of detail)
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I'm working on a project that will require a city crest cast in plastic, measuring 6.25"x 7.5"x 1/2" approx. Its not super detailed, but its definitely not a flat cut CNC or sandblasted job. As of right now the project is in diapers and I really don't know how many they'll ultimately want, but I'd like to be ready for anything. I recall reading an article in Sign Craft about making molds and casting plastic logos. The guy's name is on the tip of my tongue. I remember meeting him at an International Meet many moons ago. Maybe at Mike Meyer's or Jill's meet? Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, or if someone who is set up for, and therefore does this type of work regularly and would like this portion of the project, please let me know!

Thanks always!
Felix

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I would see if they'd go for cast metal from Gemini. Cast plastic will most likely have no warranty where a Gemini plaque will carry a lifetime warranty. Cast metal looks cool by itself, plastic would have to be painted. Cast metal would eliminate a lot of headache. Also with plastic you're going to need a negative cut on a cnc to make the mold.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Francis Lestingi, of Signs of Gold, williamsville, Ny is the man that was at Jill's Mars meet. Phone number 716-568-9663
His website is SIGNSOFGOLD.COM
He used. "SMOOTHON"

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRANCIS! THAT's it! Thanks Diane! Hey do you have that "shorts and flip flops in the snow" photo?

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Felix, I don't

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Jackson did a meet "Casting Call" where we played with a variety of casting methods. I know since then both Mike and Frank Maeson have gone on to use it quite a bit. Neither of them visit this site, but both are helpful and informative.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://fusioncast.com/index.html

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Joe C looked for the picture of us in the snow at his chiesel jam . He couldn't find it

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix - this was one of my specialities when I dealt with the military squadron plaques.
making the original pattern can be a little daunting at first. then, pour a silicone mold
to cast the resin reproductions. A talented artisan like yourself could turn out one per hour in your shop.
I would suggest the customer order in lots of 6 or 10. (I will try to post photos)
This is one of those high paying projects with very little financial investment.

-

[ July 11, 2017, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

John, that is beautiful. Wonderful paint job---it looks like cast brass. Welcome back.
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!