Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Who's Got Flexi - need help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's Got Flexi - need help
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some files from a FlexiSign Mac version that I need some help with. I have 18 files that need to be opened and then exported as Illustrator. Let me know if you can help and I'll e mail one file over to see if it works. We might need to test this as the files were saved in Roland's SignMate which as I understand was FlexiSign renamed under the Roland brand. Thanks

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be happy to help. I use 8.62
artworx@turlocksigns.com

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gerald. I'll send a file to see if it works. If it does e mail me an invoice so I can send you a check for you time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that doesn't work, email me a file at dmharding (at)gmail.com

I have the latest Flexi and recently had to open a 13 year old Flexi file and it did so without any issues.

On another, but related subject, opening Corel files of that vintage doesn't work. The newest Corel versions have limitations on how far back they can open their own files... which I think stinks!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Gerald tried it and it worked perfectly. Illustrator opened his file conversion up and it was just what I needed. Thanks for the offer Dave.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Gerber so I couldn't offer any help on this one, but I did want to add...

How cool is that!? A guy in Michigan has an issue, so he reaches out and gets help from a guy in California, and a guy in Texas.

If not for this site it's very probable that neither of you would have ever known that the other even existed.

Just sending a shout out for Steve and Barb Shortreed. Without them, this site would not be available to us.

[ May 16, 2017, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Don Hulsey ]

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND TO BELIEVE THESE PEOPLE WOULD ACCEPT A DUMBASS from Pittsburgh who lives in penscola......as one of them)))))thanks don.....glad to have met ya. and the others

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think yer a dumbass Joe, after all you had enough sense to move from snow to sun!!!

Now, wiseass??? That's a different story.

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad I got to meet you to Joe, but I have to agree with Dave. I never thought of you as a dumbass, but quite often as a wiseass.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Don Hulsey,
I was thinking the exact same thing as I was successfully opening a file I couldn't open the day before. Here's the full story. Back when I was making these tee signs for a golf course was when I had a new employee. I guess I forgot to double check her work this time. Anyway, the cut files for the sandblast rubber were all saved in Flexi, which I was using as a bridge program for cutting on my fairly new Power Mac (2002). Apparently when she we converted the files to cutting, we made some size changes and didn't save the changes in the Adobe format.

Recently, after seeing I was yet again going to have to paint the signs (this is at least the 4th or 5th time since they were new in 2002) I looked at the digital print of the Golf Course logo and noticed it still looked new after 5 years. After all, these signs are only outside 5 months out of the year. I never thought I'd see the day where a digital print will outlast One Shot paint. So I decided to keep painting the numbers and borders (no alternative) but have digital prints made for the hole maps which take the most time to paint. I tested the first course and it came out great. So I dig into the files of the second course and the hole maps saved in Illustrator do not match the size of the hole map on the actual signs. And they are not just scaled. The only files I have that I know will match the size are the cut files for the sandblast rubber, and they are only in the Flexi format.

My faithful 17 year old Power Mac finally gave it up last February. There is no way I can get a computer that will run the old Flexi software with it's dongle. The software will not run on any OS newer than Mac OS 9.1 and 9.1 won't run on anything beyond a Power Mac. So I pulled out a spare Windows machine and got SignCut Pro for a bridge program.

So my only alternative was to turn to Letterville. How right you were Don. Within the same day Gerald posted his e mail address here on Letterville and I sent him a file to test. In no time he send me an AI file and an EPS file to see if I could open it. There was my cut file, just what I needed. I sent him the other 17 files and I had what I needed before the day was over. I told him to send me an invoice for his time and he said he had relatives in Grand Rapids, MI so he said we'll call it a neighbor hood thing. Wow, are sign painters the best or what? I hope I have the opportunity to return the favor. So here is a before and after of the sign.

Original, all paint. Low quality as this picture was probably taken with my 3.1 mega pixel camera - high tech at the time.

-

Here is a sign from the same course with a digital print as the hole map.

-

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barlow is generous and cheerful and knowledgeable and trustworthy. I'm glad to know him as a friend.
Glad he helped you.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!