Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What to Charge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to Charge
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made this sign back a few years ago...now someone has plowed through it in their car...the apartment people would like for me to make another but since retirement I pick and chose what I want to do...this baby is just too far from home so I told them to find someone local...got a call from that sign company and they would like me to send them the file on the sign...wondering what is the accepted policy among sign people...should I share my design as a favor...or charge...if so how much...it is an insurance job so whatever I charge will be passed.

-

[ February 27, 2017, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly wouldn't give it away for free. People should pay for files that you generated. Consider your time developing the concept. The time to find the files and burn them to a disc. My guess would be anywhere from 3 to 5 times your cost to produce. This isn't much different than designing a logo for someone and providing them with the files. Logo fees aren't peanuts. Unfortunately I can't give you a real figure because around my territory that's what people THINK I work for...peanuts. Hopefully you will find someone that can give you a logical figure. Just not free. Your time is worth something.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your time in creation/design DIDNT GET SOLD along with the original sign, did it???? the original sign wasnt given......... with the file, to the place that ordered it?
its only worth as much as the other sign company will pay.......can they reproduce the FILE for less money then they can buy it from you????
go at this way the total price you for the sign.....was XXXXX$$$$$$. with the detail i see, i believe you did the install, the value of the FILE ALONE....... should be about 1/3 of the total price you got paid..... if the other sign company dont like it.........LET THEM START FROM SCRATCH)))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty. Is this an actual photo of your work or rendering ?

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a photoshopped photo of the sign on site with my helper from about 6 years ago after we installed...some of my early photoshop work on the background looks bad to me today...but I think I was proud of it back then...as I remember several large metal structures made the photo useless...a metal fence and electric service totally distracted from the sign...looking back on this I can see a few other minor places that I photoshopped on the sign to try and improve on the poor photo...it does look funny in the landscape...I was just developing my photoshop skills...good eye...you picked up on the poor photoshopping...but it is the actual photo

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, From what I know of your work I am guessing you hand carved the tree, so your file would not contain anything to help them set it up for a cnc router. I can't give definite pricing, but, in my opinion, the file would be worth a LOT more if it included the tree. The rest of this sign would not be that difficult to recreate just looking at the picture. Without the tree I would say, Throw me a Texas Ten(the one with Ben Franklin on it) and I'll send you the file.

BTW... I can see that your photo shop skills have improved quite a bit, but even this older example looks really good.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Thanks...a bill for 1 Ben Franklin has been sent...that sounds fair enough to me.

[ February 28, 2017, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Don said it wouldn't be too difficult to recreate the sign shape and layout but I wouldn't think many other sign companies are capable of recreating that beautiful tree. It takes a special skill to do that. Too bad you can't supply the carved tree portion as an applique and send it to the sign company. Charge a premium for your time. I wouldn't give anything away for free unless it was for charity.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean has a great idea there.

If I were the other sign shop I would probably have to pass on this one because I do not possess your skill, or the patience that I imagine it would take to create that tree. However, I would be very happy to take the job if I could get you to make the tree (for a fee) and I only had to copy your great design for the rest of the sign.

You might offer a price for sending them the tree.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!