Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » cut from corel to graphtech help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cut from corel to graphtech help
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to help someone cut from corel x3 to a Graphtech 2000. Does this work like cutting to a Roland? His computer tech installed a driver for a 5000. Of course I'm trying to help over the phone. lol It's the blind leading the blind. He says all he is getting is the plotter blinking lights.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George....A bit more info might be helpful, but it looks like a Graphtec 2000 is an older machine and Graphtec doesn't offer drivers for it, for operating systems later than Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Check out the link below...And, from personal experience with cutters, trying to use a driver for a different model usually doesn't work out.

http://www.graphteccorp.com/support/software/cuttingplotters.html

My advice to your friend would be....either buy a newer cutter or somehow downgrade the computer operating system back to Windows 7?

Computer tech guys are great at fixing computer problems but they have absolutely no knowledge of how to get computers to "talk" to vinyl cutters! That is an area of expertise that is reserved for only the most knowledgeable of "vinyl cutting" sign folks!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ January 23, 2017, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, the computer is win 7. I found a driver for that model, we are going to try that route today. My friend also has a newer US Cutter. Cutting from Corel direct from that one looks like a good bit more work but if we can't get the Graphtec to work we may have to give that a try.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A YOU CAN USE THE roland driver for almost any other cutter(us cutter)as long as its reading HPGL.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will bow to your superior knowledge on that topic Joe...

But from my own experience with different operating systems, different Roland cutters and different versions of CorelDraw, your statement is absolutely incorrect.

Yes, some things might work OK some of the time, but a person in business needs everything to work all of the time.

Mixing and matching drivers is not a good option.

Just my humble opinion.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all of the chinese cutters ae based on the CX-24 ROLAND platform. and like i said the HPGL computer language is the same across all these platforms.
and if iam not mistaken, the GRAPHTEC......also is HPGL connective.......only problem would be the width of the plotter carriage. a 24" will not run a 30" properly.
if it was me......i would get an another computer, load it with XP/WIN 98SE.... and not connect to internet and use it to run the older software for the graphtec.....
in my 25 years of cutting vinyl......the basic HPGL, corel cutting, roland drivers......have not changed that much over the years........an old computer with WIN 98SE, will do the same job as a WIN 10 machine will do today......and with almost no difference .........

[ January 25, 2017, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

I read on a Graphtec forum you have to change to GP GL . We did that and still nothing. WE still haven't loaded the correct driver

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

http://searchmicroservices.techtarget.com/definition/HP-GL-Hewlett-Packard-Graphics-Language
LIKE i said earlier, get an older computer, with XP/WIN98SE you have the original driver for the old graphtec...it will work. i still have my disc with COREL 7, AND iam sure up to 11,12 will work fie on XP/WIN98SE

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

I just got a call from him, he is buying some sort of program, maybe a bridge, that will have him cutting.

I'm relieved. [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

iam betting it wont help.......as they still need the driver to work with the O/S.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

George....I understand your relief!!!!

Trying to help someone via phone calls and with equipment you aren't familiar with is just frustrating and time consuming.

Back in the day, I could help anyone with Corel/Roland stuff because that was what I used. Occasionally someone would contact me asking about some oddball cutter and I had to just say....sorry I can't help because I know nothing about that product.

To this day I could assist most folks with questions about CorelDraw...but questions about PhotoPAINT....forget it....I never used it and have no intention of using it.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey George

I may be a bit late to the game on this but I'm using a Graphtec CE-2000 and I work in Corel. I did research when I bought my machine and found out a bridge program is necessary. I've been using SignCut and really like it a lot. It's either a subscription ($98 a year) or you can buy the program outright for $400 I believe. It has a lot of nice features you don't get when cutting directly from Corel too.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too use SignCut. I had trouble at first. 15 year old Mac finally died and switched to an XP machine I wasn't using. Once I switched from a serial cable (which Roland said was designed for use only on the Mac) to a parallel cable it worked like a charm and I too like SignCut. Great technical support too.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!