Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Satellite Internet anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Satellite Internet anyone?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot get DSL at the shop location and my Verizon aircard contract expires next month. I was paying $80/month for unlimited data. Does anyone use a satellite dish for internet? If so, what is your speed, data capacity and cost? Thanks

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Peaches used satellite internet whilst they were in CA. They were very unhappy with the service.

Is cable not available?

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I have Hughsnet satellite for mt internet. It is terrible, does not like fog, rain, snow or leaves on trees.

I believe I get 10 mg /month of decent speed for $80. per month. When data is used up it is back to basically dial-up speed. I too can not get anything else where I live.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I live way out of town on a dirt road in the boonies, practically, and can get ATT DSL there. But here, on US HWY 90 I can't. Crazy.

I think we might try "Exede"

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...My only knowledge of satellite internet is from folks along the beach here in Mexico. Their experiences were pretty much the same as Curt mentioned.

Reasonable but spotty signals, very low bandwith allowances and the signal dropping to dial-up speeds if the bandwidth was exceeded. Nobody that tried it was happy.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very glad satellite is available to me...it's the only option. Cell phones don't work at our place either. We switched from Hughes a few years ago to Excede. Much better reception and friendlier company. Works most of the time. Speeds are OK, but the latency is a problem. We are on a program that gives us 15gigs a month. Not enough to watch video, but enough for correspondence and sending files. There is a free time in the early mornings also. I'm glad to have it, but wish we had better. I think we pay $70 monthly.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/internet-compare.html?campcode=flowlanding_hsi_link1_1&src=www.cox.com/residential/internet.html#

Guys,

I have been using their internet service for the last 6 years and, only, pay $39.95 per month, without any problem, at all. They do have different plans and different rates, to fit your needs......They will work with you, always. They have all kinds of promotions that can lower your monthly bill.

Just go thru the above site, type in your location and find out what they can offer you.

My WI FI connection, in my house, and wherever I go, including my neighbors houses, on each side of my house, with any of my devices, works like a charm

I can watch movies in my TV, laptop, tablet and cell phone, anywhere inside of the house and in my backyard, without any problem.

When it comes to searching in the internet, I always use Google Chrome, as my default search engine....works for me.

By the way, I chose the cheapest plan that they offer, based on how I use the internet service.

I hope this helps those having problems with getting their internet service.

Good luck.

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COX not available here

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Ricardo

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!