Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Illustrator CS6 - your opinion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Illustrator CS6 - your opinion
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using Illustrator CS5. I really don't appreciate subscriptions, so am wondering if anyone is using Illustrator 6, on a Mac, and any problems compared to the CS5 version?
Thanks ahead of time for your response.

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a fan of subscriptions either. not a real CS ADOBE USER either.......but its the same as any UPGRADED computer program......they add stuff, the last version didnt have, charge a fortune for it and NOW WANT YOU TO PAY MONTHLY))))) screw that.
i been a COREL USER since V 3.0. now a lot has improved since then. BUT.....was told by a computer programmer then (1990's)its always best to stay 1 version behind what being touted as the newest, greatest, version ever))))) most new ones are going to have FIXES..... and updates....before they get em all functional.
everthing i do in PHOTO EDITING can be done in COREL PHOTOPAINT X3.. or any of the 20-30 photo progs that come with printer/cameras.
which i still have on DISC....we bought a EPSON 1430, it came with ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS..... its adobe photoshop, without all the bells and whistles....it works well. wife does a lot of photos..i got a copy of LIGHTROOM....older version......its a lot more detailed then photoshop.
look at these before you spend money you dont have to)))
http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

[ December 30, 2016, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used CS6 for several years. It wasn't the most stable version of Illustrator. It could depend on which Mac you are using and which OS. I remember when I was using CS6 on my Mac Pro I had to install Rosseta for it to work on Snow Leopard. It would still crash once in a while which made me save my work much more often. As I upgraded OS on my Mac I believe CS6 would no longer work. I don't like subscription software that much either but I bit the bullet and did it. So as long as the entire Adobe Suite is available to me I am learning Muse and will eventually learn Dreamweaver, I always have the latest version of Photoshop and Illustrator and boy have there been some sweet upgrades to both.

The problem would be when I get like Dave Grundy. I have a version of Illustrator for Windows to play on when I fully retire because at $52.99 a month I won't want to keep paying for the subscription for occasional use. I believe though that Adobe has smaller cost subscriptions now for individual programs. I use Photoshop and Illustrator a lot and I was spending close to what I spend now by upgrading the two programs every other year. And now I have Acrobat pro, the complete Adobe font library, a ton of cloud storage and web authoring software.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the mention Dave, and that is why I stick with buying "real" upgrades. I generate no income from my current use of CorelDraw, but it is fun to just do personal stuff to keep my brain working. If I were forced into having to go "subscription", I would stick with the latest old "real" version I had.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mick, I hear what you are saying. My advice is that if you are using a certain version of Illustrator "STRICTLY" for your own shop use, generating files just for you, than stick with what you have.

For vinyl cutting I have an old Mac running OS 7, rfor FlexiSign 5.5, neither of which have been supported for many many years. This works perfectly for me and ‘my’ vinyl projects.

I also have my main computer, a Mac tower running the latest OS as well as Illustrator and Photoshop cloud subscription. I don't really like it, but if I am operating as a professional, then I must act like one, and be able to send and receive current files which happens weekly. The current cloud version of Illustrator can down-save files to Illustrator version 3, which Flexi is very happy with.

The issue is when someone sends, or asks for a file saved in a current format. If I am not able to fulfill that request, I feel that it casts a negative image to my client as to my professionalism. Just a fact of life in today's industry.

Not saying either one is right or wrong, it's just that I do work for other designers who work in the current platform and I need to be able to seamlessly work with them. I just look at the $20.00/ month as overhead expense.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt, you're doing exactly what I'm doing, but I just hit a snag. My old Mac running Signmate (Roland's version of Flexi) decided to give up. I can't find an old Mac to replace it with so I'm trying to get a Windows machine to work.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, Windows... I hate Windows. Check around with some Mac forums, ebay, etc., and you might luck out.

FYI I have an old Power Computing Mac clone (yes Apple sold the rights to use their software) at a time and this machine I bought at least 20 years ago is still plugging away.

Don't know what I will do if it takes a dump. Maybe just retire from vinyl and get rid of my plotter and paint.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows and Corel all the way! Dave Grundy [Smile]

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still running CS5 on my big Mac Pro. The machine is a tank. At any given time I have 7-10 apps running and just put it to sleep at the end of the day. Illy is very stable on it.
I'm still running a Mac G5 also with Illustrator 10 on it jus because I'm stuck there running my Edge with MacImprint/ illustrator plug in. Gerber never updated it and it only runs with a pre-intel processor. Went through a few G3's and 4's and now have the G5. I'm running out of options. Every now and than Illy 10 starts acting up and demands a restart but for it's age I can't complain,
The cool thing with this setup is I have both Macs plugged into my Graphtec. The G6 using a USB to serial cable and the Pro with a straight USB connection. Works great.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS6 on Windows 7. No issues at all.

Not a fan of subscriptions either. Might be a good idea to back up your work files before starting, as all your files will begin to be saved as CS6. If you decide in the future to go back to CS5, your files will be worthless.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have used PHOTOSHOP and dont see the big deal of it as i have ALSO BEEN A COREL USER since corel 3.0. in the COREL SUITE it includes
COREL PHOTOPAINT. now like i said i have used photoshop and really dont see the need for it IF YOU HAVE PHOTOPAINT. in most of my work(since 92-present)and i dont have BIG PRINTER....corel photopaint has served me well. we bought a EPSON 1430 and it came with PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS. i still prefer corel photopaint. and have any of you looked at GIMP??? its FREE......
guess iam a weidro as their are tons of PHOTO EDITING programs......to choose from......and i wont be sold a subscription for ANY OF THEM))))
TAKE A LOOK HERE.....
http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-photo-editing-software/

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends totally on how much you use the software. Im on the Adobe cloud subscription and find it great. However Illustrator is my main production software which I use every working hour of every day. The benefits are many but I can see why it mightnt suit everyone

[ January 04, 2017, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Gaffney ]

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!