Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What do you charge for removal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you charge for removal?
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent 5 1/2 hours stripping some of my lettering that the customer ruined with a pressure washer. He joked I must not have done a good job. I told him you can't fool me, I've seen what it looks like when you blow off the lettering. Plus it's about 8-10 years old.

So my question is, what do you charge for removing painted lettering?

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shop rate plus materials!

I never gave a firm price because no two jobs are the same. Some came off quickly and easily and others were a bitch and took forever!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your shop rate Si? I guess that's what I should've asked from the start. I haven't had a job that I needed to figure by the hour in probably ten years. So a new question to everyone, what's your shop rate?

I've never given a price for removal, just for the reasons you stated. I also warn customers there is a good chance it will cost more to remove the old, than to paint on the new.

This job was a perfect example, 5.5 hrs. to remove, 3 hrs to redo.

[ December 14, 2016, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For removal it's $100.00 per hour, and that covers any material. My regular shop rate is $75.oo.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Moroney
Resident

Member # 9498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Moroney   Email Bob Moroney       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the hour only, $85per plus a chemical/supplies charge of $50.

--------------------
Bob Moroney
The Sign Guy
310 Club Valley Drive
Falmouth, MA 02536
508-259-6297

Posts: 216 | From: Falmouth, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been out of the game for 9 years. But I totally agree with everyone above. Charge by the hour and keep the hourly rate high.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T&M with a no liability clause

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would remove my showroom window splashes for free, if they wanted a new one. Naturally, I subbed it out to the window cleaners who charged a hundred bucks or so and added it into the next bid, discreetly. Had to do a few that I could not get the cleaners to do, but that stripper smells so good and don't you love the effect on your skin?

Now my paintings today....Never had to removed one off the canvas as I try to make them last five hundred years.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Si!

Mr.Preston - dittos! I consider it a personal challenge to see how long I can make a sign last!
Alas, the sun is against me on the south side of any sign in no shade ...

[Razz]

Original Q: "What do you charge for removal?"

A: As much as possible . .

A: Not enough . . .

Dave, you didn't really specify what kind of lettering or what it was on - was it painted? Vinyl? Was it on aluminum, HDU, brick, block, or a vehicle?

I get $75 to $100 to remove vinyl from a truck or somethin' ... Maybe more maybe less -depends on if I have to use Easy-Off - ok - now I'm 'dating' myself ....

But no matter what needs to be cleaned, the customers is going to be directed to do it themselves. If they start choking on my price, I will go into great detail about all the possible scenarios including the mystery unkown one, so they can at least make and educated combined decision about who'll do the cleaning & their pocket book.

Meanwhile, I can think of no sign that needs to be PRESSURE washed period!!!
Signs should be cleaned like cars - regular spray-hose force, auto soap or something like that, with a soft brush. Road scum comes right off aluminum with a little added comet.

I learned this 'no pressure' lesson years ago - I needed to repaint a hand-painted (on aluminum) billboard about 10 years old. I asked the customer to have the sign cleaned. They called some guy with a pressure washer who nearly blasted off the baked-on aluminum finish.
I had to re-do nearly the whole layout.

As a side note:
When I get called to to-do a sign I ask a few questions, and since the sign would need to be clean anyway, I direct them (with detailed instructions) to go ahead and clean it. And occasionally I'll get a call back saying, "Nevermind! The sign looks brand new since we washed it!"

Duh-yeh!

ALSO - GREAT side job for your teen! All they need is a small truck, a big square tank of water w/hose, car brushes, soap, & maybe a ladder (you-they can set a limit on height)
Then they can go around and offer to properly wash signs - doctor & insurance offices etc etc etc - those dryvit monuments etc etc.
A kid could make their monthly car payment, insurance, & have some extra bux to boot if they did a few of these a week after school! . . . make 'em some little business cards . . . [Wink]

[ December 16, 2016, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!