Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What Substrate to use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Substrate to use
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I am going to do a picture of a woman for a wine label. I can't use anything online. Being that it's for reproduction what should I paint it on? I will be using 1-Shot plus some oil based paints. The overall size will be about 30in by 30in. The painting techniques will resemble the type that was used in 1950s advertisements, a bit loose showing the brushwork.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to paint on birch plywood. I give it a coat of shellac and lightly sand first.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you use the birch plywood over a standard canvas?

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just never got used to painting on canvas, probably just because most of my painting has been signs and related things or painting designs on wood furniture and stuff like that. Personal preference. Maybe I'd like it if I spent more time with it. The Mona Lisa was painted on poplar wood.

[ November 23, 2016, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paint on canvas and panels. Sometimes on gessoed masonite or even some wood plywood panels with a fine surface like poplar or linden wood. I also paint on dibond or whatever other composite metal panel I have.
Interestingly, I have developed a technique of using poster enamel to lay in the basics and then add in some oil color to add some other colors as needed into the poster enamel. I also have experimented with using hardener which does set it up super hard, but does immediately slow down the poster enamel setting up as fast as it usually does. To get good blends, I stipple with an ox hair brush, even the cheapie china bristle brushes. Then I can layer on some more transparent colors mixed with either liquin or even hardener. These upper layers are like veils of color that tend to gather up the colors a bit and make an effect that my paintings are known for (as you might remember from seeing the gallery, Alicia). I would be glad to help you out and explain further, if you need. preston@prestonmccall.com

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, if this is the original that is meant for reproduction then the size can be a big consideration. We have a lot of people that bring large pieces of art, drawings, etc. that they want to use for various reproductive, digital purposes and it always presents a problem if you don't have ready access to a large, quality, flat-bed scanner. Taking photographs of large pieces just doesn't work well for digital conversion, there is no comparison to a quality scan. So, if at all possible, I encourage people to produce things in a scannable size regardless of what media you chose. Also, you should remember that the texture of the media will be picked up in the digital reproduction and that could be a big factor in the final outcome. You may want to see the brush strokes but not the lumps and shadows of a canvas.

[ November 23, 2016, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Everybody has interesting answers for me to consider. But, like Gary says, it has to be large or small enough to be scanned. I'm gonna have to fins out how big a scanner any locals shops out my way have.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Okay, I found a place nearby that has a big flatbed scanner.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!