Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A LOCAL DESIGN COMPETITION - THOUGHTS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A LOCAL DESIGN COMPETITION - THOUGHTS?
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A contest was held at a local trade school. Before I reveal who won, I'd like your opinion as to layout, flow, etc

-

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could you make it 1024 x 768??

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP
It makes it too big for the Letterville Photo Album Their linit is 60KB

[Cool]

[ November 16, 2016, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, we don't know the objective of the contest and it's very hard to see the detail to answer your question but I'll say this...#1 is the most readable and seems to have a balanced layout...#2 lacks contrast and seems too busy....#3 is, well, umm, probably the one that won! (Must have been a bunch of "designers" on the judging panel)

[ November 16, 2016, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gary - what is the actual MESSAGE the organisers wanted to convey?
The one on the right looks like a duck, tipped sideways...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big reveal!!

The one on the right was indeed the winner. My grandson is shown displaying his to the left. I want him to learn from this that even when you're clearly the better option, those who are in judgement, (or buying) position do not always have the skills to make the best call. [Roll Eyes]

He was encouraged by your comments which were much like mine. [Smile] [Thanks]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go with Gary...he sounds like a good judge on design...when I am designing... or even painting a landscape... I will often back way out so as to better see readability and overall composition...from this small pic it is easy to see your grandson's is best.

By the way judging is so subjective...I was once asked to judge a photo competition...one of the entries came from a well known professional photographer...he had won awards all over for his work...years ago had been involved in shooting tv show Hee Haw...so this man had skills and talent and I liked his work...but apparently not as much as he did...for the judging names had been hidden...turns out that I didn't even place him among the 4 awards... in my subjective opinion his photo had a tragic flaw in the composition...how light and dark elements are arranged in a composition will lead the eye...I was lead right off the edge of the photo and in dramatic fashion might I add...it was a show stopper for me...I didn't even place his photo...well all hell broke lose after the judging...the photographer got in cussing battle with the president of the club over my qualifications to be a judge...and I probably wasn't qualified to judge as a photographer...I only used my instincts as an artist to judge...and I only judged as a favor to the club president who was familiar with some of my art work and was having a problem finding someone...well some artist apparently need their egos stroked and can't accept rejection...conflict continued to grow over the next few weeks and more people became involved in the brouhaha...in the end the club president quit and the club broke up...I will never again judge a competition of any kind...recently went to a show at Columbia State College...I was not in agreement with who got ribbons and in what order...but it didn't bother me...it was one person's opinion and it differed from mine.

[ November 18, 2016, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

The upload limit is indeed 60k and it's recommended to be no more than 500 pixels wide. At 72 dpi, that's 6.944" width. I set my photos to 6.944" width, then export them as .jpg at 72 dpi and check the size. I export as RGB and might have to drop the quality to 70 or 80% but I can usually get a fairly large and legible photo onto the server here. I work from Corel and some of the settings might be slightly different in another program.

As far as judging the photo is concerned, I agree with the comments above.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guessed from the start that the one that made little sense would be the winner. That kind of crap is invading the commercial art world along with another trend I can't stand, light gray type on a white background. Making a logo that makes sense is no longer necessary as it seems they want results so far outside the box that all the rules of layout are gone. From what I see your grandson's logo is very nice and I'm glad he's not discouraged.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago I enter one of my watercolors in a regional contest with hundreds of entries and won "Best of Show" along with a cash prize. About six months later, I entered the same painting in a local contest with about 50 entries and didn't even get an Honorable Mention. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That is the reason I question the validity of some of the sign design contests where the judges are interior decorators.

[ November 19, 2016, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I question most decisions of interior decorators!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here it is at 800......... [IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the left rendering is most legible and conveys some sort of message. But like others have said, "what was the message supposed to convey???"

Ian..the one on the right looks more like a bird of some sort tipped on it's back? (what message does that convey?)

I can't read the middle one at all, even with Joe's enlarged version, on my smallish 28" monitor.

I guess a better explanation of the "project" and a better resolution of the picture would help greatly Wayne???

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

The contest was for the countys Promise Zone for guaranteed assistance with college education for qualifying students. They enlisted the Graphic Arts program at the local tech center

I thought the contest was a great incentive program for the second year students. To be clear, this is not a complaint for the contest. I was just amazed at the clear difference in talent of these three students.

[Cool]

[ November 20, 2016, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does the one on the left NOT convey the message perfectly? I mean a shape repeated and overlaid in three different colors just screams guaranteed assistance with college education, no? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]
That's about 3 minutes work in illustrator right from a tutorial. [Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... the left one communicates a message - the other two fail at that task.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!