Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Summa T750 cutter - ever had this problem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summa T750 cutter - ever had this problem?
Mayo Pardo
Resident

Member # 138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mayo Pardo   Author's Homepage   Email Mayo Pardo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to change computers some time ago and that may have been when this problem started happening.

When a job starts to draw or cut, it no longer streams the entire cut. It acts like it's either waiting for more data or it's trying to process the data it received. It starts and stops continuously even on small jobs with one or two words of 2 inch letters. It becomes more evident when doing letters with curves or scripts.

The tech info:
Computer is a Win XP Pro box with service pack 3,
AMD Sempron 3100+ processor 1.8ghz with 704 megs ram. As pathetic as that sounds today, it's way better than what I used to have it hooked up to and the cutter screamed through jobs so fast I actually had to slow it down and it never did the start/stop thing.

Using the Summa T series driver from Signlab 5, the Summa is a PRE-USB cutter connected to a Keyspan USA-19HS serial to USB adapter.
The computer does not have a serial port to connect the cutter to.

I've tried changing various port settings, baud rates etc and nothing seems to eliminate the start and stop problem.

Anyone had a similar issue and solved it?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have no plans to upgrade software or cutter since I only use it about twice a year.

--------------------
EmpY
Mayo Pardo #138
South Elgin, IL.

Posts: 436 | From: South Elgin, IL | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Mayo!!!

I can't help you with your problem but wanted to say Hi!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mayo, good to see you again.

I do not have a Summa, but my Mimaki uses a serial cable. I tried a few of the usb to serial adapters with no luck. I finally installed a pci serial port in the computer, and it has been working fine for several years. I think the port cost about $20 back then, and I don't think they would be much more than that now.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mayo Pardo
Resident

Member # 138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mayo Pardo   Author's Homepage   Email Mayo Pardo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dave - Hey Don...

Good seeing familiar faces again!

I think adding a port to the computer may be the solution - going to check that out next if I get no additional suggestions for tweaking driver or software settings.

--------------------
EmpY
Mayo Pardo #138
South Elgin, IL.

Posts: 436 | From: South Elgin, IL | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi eMPy,
I was also going to suggest buying a card to give the PC a couple of ports.
I have not to date got a USB to serial adapter to work as expected. There are different ones, and I've tried five of them, from cheap to expensive.

It's simpler to buy a card!

[ October 31, 2016, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Mayo.
Wish I could help, but....

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with putting in a card. I've also had no luck with serial adapters.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Crawford
Visitor
Member # 495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Crawford   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Crawford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what version of Signlab you're using, but if it has the plot spooler, that should solve the problem. The plot spooler box needs to be checked, it's found in the plotter information/settings drop down box.

--------------------
Bruce Crawford
Crawford Sign Co.
9217 Bechtel Road
Elyria, Ohio

Posts: 69 | From: Elyria, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!