Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 2 hours, 45 minutes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 hours, 45 minutes?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Aspire program, the 22" x 14.5" "brain" was going to require 2 hours and 45 minutes to route using a 3mm ballnose @ 150 ipm

But I remembered buying one of these nifty little bits on Ebay a few months back. Chucked it in the router: 16 minutes at only 75 ipm. https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14463068_1382536058441586_7251082784079436678_n.jpg?oh=01fe8c552521960889b9fb7850bf6b56&oe=58665983
 -

These letters would have taken like over 12 hours. But I discovered that I could buy one of these monster round-ver bits, grind the bearing mount off it, and use it like a profile cutter as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390965905998?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...You and Grandpa Dan are having way too much fun with your toys! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

If anyone is interested in this little trick; for the larger bit, you set the router up to cut an outside "profile" with a .5" end mill, or .5" ballnose; whichever you prefer. Then set your depth as desired. In this case I set it to cut 1.125" deep in about 3 or 4 passes to get a nice roundover. Of course it did need some sanding to get it really smooth.

The smaller, un-modified bit should be set to cut ON the line of the profile

[ September 24, 2016, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I got the idea to do that from Joe Crumley a few years ago - cheating, and using a round-over bit.
You can actually get some beading types with a point in the middle - but in each case it does not matter- you can just remove the 1/2" bearing, and run a 1/2" end mill in with the same offset, to finish the edge down to the background. It saves heaps of time, and makes a 2D letter in vectors into a 3D one.
Great idea!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, doesn't Aspire have the ability to enter bit geometry? I know Joe Crumley is famous for figuring out ways to cheat the router, but he's also famous for occasionally destroying a panel or spoil board while cheating. I had a giant round over bit that was not in the standard bit list and was able to enter all the geometry measurements myself so Artcam will use it's geometry to cut the way you want it to.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just remembered - the rounding-over cutters without the bearings were called Brad-point bits.
They have a centre diameter of about 3/32 or 1/8"
and about a 1/2" radius, and one a bit bigger.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Sherby:
Wayne, doesn't Aspire have the ability to enter bit geometry?...

Yes, It does Dave. I just looked it up. [Smile] Aspire has a couple of roundover bit profiles but you can't just make a new one by changing the values like you can with the other bits. I had tried before. But you can draw the right-hand side of your bit profile in a sign program, to scale, and import the vectors, or draw it in Aspire then add it to the permanent list. That's pretty cool. I've just been doing it my little primitive way but I'm going to try that now. Thanks!

[ September 26, 2016, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Wayne, Enroute lets you do that also - I tried- but I didn;t find it overly successful, so in the end, I went back to the manual method of 'tricking' the machine, by just selecting a tool whose geometry was basic and only I knew that wasn't the one that was inserted.

That took less time, in the end, after fiddling with creating new profiles that didn't rout properly when called up to do so. (Maybe I'm the dill and made a basic mistake - I don't know)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

That sounds like the most practical solution, Ian.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!