Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New Apartment Design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Apartment Design
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending this design off today...it will include a hand carved landscape in the top...it will double sided so I needed to make sure the tree line and sun would work in reverse on the opposing side...I tried putting the scene in an oval and a rectangle but I had to make them much smaller to fit and being smaller seemed to lose some of the impact of what I've posted below...anyway this is the latest.

-
 -

[ July 28, 2016, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops...now that I put it up I can see a problem...the reverse leans to the right too much...I'll work on it later today when I have time...think I'll try introducing more foliage between the 2 larger trees...might be a simple fix.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thanks]

Such a relief to still be seeing great designs posted here from you. When I heard "retirement", I was somehow expecting pottery and bathroom renovation pictures. Don't know where I got that idea.

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS. I don't have an answer, but the trees and the background might be too close in value and run together.

A "trick" I've always used is rolling my chair across the room from the monitor to get a better idea of what a design might look like in "real life". Sort of my take on the ol' squinting eye thing. (I added this paragraph for the newbies who might find it helpful.)

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know how you get that great sandblast background look on your renderings. That along with your landscaping rendering add a lot to the presentation, as if the design/layouts weren't already enough "wow".
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,
How will you do the shaded effect around the perimeter of your sandblasted background? Airbrushing?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know too. (What Don and Wayne said)

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
This is the way I do sandblasted renderings.
I select my background in CorelDraw x8 then select

edit fill > texture fill
I usually pick a texture like "soft water"
Change the wave softness to around 50, density to 20 and change surface and bottom colors to suit.
If I want it to look 3D I select
Bitmap > convert to bitmap > edit bitmap > effects > textures > plastic....then play with the depth, smoothness, light direction etc.

[ July 29, 2016, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What everyone else said.

Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Good call Don...I like the new improved version...thanks for your imput.
 -

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Well guys I shade around almost all the raised elements on my signs...just my style I guess...I like the extra depth and contrast shading gives...I've never owned an airbrush but one would probably work well...I'm pretty old school...just wet on wet brush blending...the first coat of paint will be laid down flat...black behind all the elements and my selected bkgrd color in the open areas of the bkgrd...the second coat is when I will apply shading...black behind an element first...mist that with water to extend working time...next lay down the bkgrd color and mist again...now blend with brush the 2 colors until a smooth transition of color is obtained...not rocket science that's for sure...after it is dry I often come back and dry brush a lighter color across the top of the woodgrain just to bring it out a little more.
 -

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So nice Rusty. Your signs have a look that is totally your own personal style.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Yes, very nice!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your signs always look almost good enough to eat.
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Thanks guys for the encouraging words...the appreciation shown for one's work...especially from his peers...far outlasts the monetary compensation received.

[ July 30, 2016, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Played a little more with this design...tried an arched top...looks better.
 -

[ August 08, 2016, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh crap, I have to look for my socks. Rusty just knocked them clean off.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Rusty just include a half-blind janitor as one of his peers? [Wink]
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, one of these days I'll show you how to use Photoshop to quadruple your income.

-

[ August 09, 2016, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Your style is beautiful. Thanks for explaining the fade paint technique too, I'll have to play with that a bit.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Sweeeet!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Don...I think you just created a Dan Sawatzky size project

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

For years I have been the sign guy for a big apartment concern...they have over 100 complexes in Tn., Ala., and Miss...I replace a few old signs for them every year...their maintenance people prepare the holes ahead of time and handle all the grunt work when I arrive to install...works out well...I had this maintenance guy pose beside one of my signs I put up down in Miss... I copied him from the photo I took on installation day...then pasted him into my drawing and scaled him to be viewed as 6' person standing beside the sign in this drawing ...when I present a drawing I usually always include a person so as to help the client understand size...from border to border this sign will be a 4'x7'...I will only have to glue extra on the top where the trees protrude.

[ August 11, 2016, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Bradley:
Don...I think you just created a Dan Sawatzky size project

Yes, Rusty, I do believe that I did. And all it took was 5 minutes in Photoshop. I think I'm on to something.
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Don...if that is a black leprechaun...and it kind of looks it to me...then that is still a 4'x7' sign.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, you're going to have to lose that losing attitude if you're ever going to let me help you increase your income.

I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's time for tough love.

For crying out loud, I'm trying to help you get rich here.

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Speaking of getting rich, gotta go...10:30...time to mop some more staircases. [Roll Eyes]

You know what they say. Those who do don't...or those that don't do...or something like that.

Robin Williams

[ August 13, 2016, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!