Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » First half of the Viking ship finished

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First half of the Viking ship finished
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the mast pictures of the Viking ship project a while ago. Today, we finished the first half of the first Viking ship. It's the biggest single piece to come out of our shop to date. It measures just a hair under 38' long. Each (of two) Viking ship hulls is built in four sections to fit into a shipping container with inches to spare. Each section has a frame bolted to the bottom to keep it from sliding in the container in transit to Dubai. The top section is the tallest and heaviest and will weigh in at around 12,000 - 13,000 lbs I would guess. The front and rear keel will bolt on separately. The two ships and targets will fill twelve shipping containers in all.

-

We are about three weeks from the finish of the project with two and a half halves of the ship yet to sculpt. The crew has worked hard on the project for the last three and a half months with design and planning stretching back another two and a half months before that. The detail is the best we have done to date.

-

-

-

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are incredibly talented. Your employees are too. I am always looking forward to your posts. Thank you DaN.
When will you and your staff be going over for the install?
I hope someone takes,pictures of you doing the install and the finished project ,

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are incredibly talented. Your employees are too. I am always looking forward to your posts. Thank you DaN.
When will you and your staff be going over for the install?
I hope someone takes,pictures of you doing the install and the finished project ,

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our crew does awesome work and are a delight to work with. At this point we are not doing the installation of this project. This means we will not see the ship fully assembled.

- grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Mr. Dan. Another "over the top" project. I can hardly wait to see what the next project will look like.

My project for today is a megaphone for the local high school.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make yourself heard Raymond!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine looking job, Dan!

Youall really go all our to get the details right; and that's what sets your work apart.

I'd hate to think about doing this job (myself), with all the concerns about shipping it halfway around the world. But I'm sure you've tried to think of all the ways to prevent any mishaps.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that "wood" made of concrete/spec-mix motor?

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12,000 to 13,000 lbs....12 shipping containers...wow...shipping cost alone must be a pretty penny...but unlike shipping...art can not measured by the lb or the sq. ft.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

These pieces are all fibreglass reinforced concrete over a welded steel armature. We trowel on the concrete mix about 1" thick and then hand carve it before it sets up solid. Each piece is designed to bolt together with other pieces. The inside dimensions of a container are 90" wide x 88" tall by 39' 6" long. Nothing can exceed that unless you want to get an oversize container which is very expensive. Lift and mounting points are engineered into the structures. We bolt each piece to a welded steel frame which is designed to slide into a container with an inch clearance on each side. That prevents the piece from moving during transit.

We recently sent 14 containers to Trinidad (Caribbean Island) for another project and all arrived in perfect shape.

We don't see the shipping or insurance costs for these pieces as the client is taking care of that. I hear it runs about $10,000 per container. We supply the crane that loads the containers but once the piece is safely and securely in the can our responsibility ends.

-grampa dan

[ July 24, 2016, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to Dubai? They can afford it.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that wood grain.

Nice colors also.

Can't wait to see it complete.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no job too big for grandpa Dan, you have gone and built a reputation that will probably never be surpassed. You will never know how proud I am that you took time to visit me and invite me to your place. I hope to make it before I am too old.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill...it's a life changing event to be in the place where the magic happens. It's like trying to drink from a fire hose.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Bill, he door is still open to you and anyone who wants to drop in for a visit. Having an amazing team makes an incredible difference and allows us to do the things we accomplish each day. Bill- just wait until you see the wonderful projects that Peter does with this company in the future... you haven't seen anything yet. It's teamwork that makes it all happen.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Do Know you are a crazy Man.. don't you? You'd have to be to come up with these projects!! WOWZERS!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has to be at the very top of my bucket list.
Thanks Ray and Dan for the replies.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!