Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Which Would Make the Best Sign?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Would Make the Best Sign?
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes help out guy in neighboring town who is trying to get a start in the sign business...he brings me the info and I try to help him out with design which is an aspect he needs a lot of help with...these would be dimensional and quite a challenge for most any accomplished sign maker...but he says he would like to give it a go...the client would like a creek to represent the name as well as grapes in the design...maybe a little much for a sign but here are 3 that I came up with for him...I offered a simpler version "B" as an option for the client to view...maybe the simpler version would be more successful as a sign...I'm not sure so I'm asking if anyone has a preference among these 3 and maybe why they prefer it over the others.

I will change the font on the lower plaque...the numbers are not good for me.

-

[ June 07, 2016, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think "B" represents the winery business best.

All three are excellent, as usual, but "A" and "C" look more like signs for a trout fishing or canooing business rather than a winery.

If the client wants the "Big Creek" aspect incorporated maybe reverse the images in example "C"? (Smaller "landscape" at top and bigger "grape cluster" in the center?

Just my impression.

[ June 06, 2016, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave I'm thinking "B" as well...however I'm afraid that if we reverse "C" like you suggest then the landscape being detailed as it is now becomes so small it is useless in the design.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,
As usual, your designs are pretty awesome.

As for opinion, I like A, but I would move the pictorial down and put the "WINERY" under the Big Creek.

I think also, like you said, I'd change the font on the numbers, and make them a little larger, so they're more visible.

Beautiful!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Thanks Dale...that's not bad...why didn't I think of it...being that that the words are not spaced so far apart...I think it might read better.
 -

[ June 07, 2016, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!!!!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new "A" version. Great suggestion Dale!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice work.
Before the revision, I was going to say I like B best, but, somebody's going to gripe about the creek being absent. So it comes down to A or C. The frame around the creek pictoral in C draws enough attention to it to take away the competition it had with the grapes in A.
But the revision takes care of all that.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The revision. It brings "Big Creek Winery" more to optical center, makes it one copy block, illustrates both the grapes and the creek.

The rounded top gives it more style and nicely frames the cluster of grapes. Very nice work, Rusty

[ June 07, 2016, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the change, Rusty!

Plus, it puts a good emphasis on your beautiful pictorial work.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Another I had not thought of...for this one the client would have to forego his preference to include the creek...I would try to convince him that simplicity is more effective and to be careful of too many elements in a sign...of course the name and address would be put in and the cluster of grapes defined better before carving...probably just the right cluster of grapes is sitting out there somewhere but this is a freebie design for a young sign maker I know and right now good enough for the client to view.

-

[ June 07, 2016, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

That's OK too, Rusty; but I still like the revision with the creek in the middle. I know it's more involved, work-wise; but to me, it just brings the whole 'big creek' concept into the picture.

Obviously, it's still your call.

Either way, really nice!

What software do you use, if I'm not being nosey?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dale...it's really not my call...this goes through another sign guy and then to the client...I will never see the client...I'm just offering options to them.

I'm using Photoshop CS6.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Revision A the best. Very classy looking, warm and inviting. Another option is to see what they have for a label. Actually in my case the winery liked the lettering on my sign design so much he changed his label. He bought the files for his name from me and used them on his wine labels. Maybe Big Creek Winery has a label that would work as part of the sign design.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dave... the reverse of what happened to you may happen here...again I am not in contact with the winery so I only know through this middle man...they are a new winery...they have not developed a label or logo...he has said there may be consideration to apply elements of the sign design to the labeling if they like it enough...and that brings up an interesting question...I am doing the design as a favor for the the sign man...just trying to help him get the job...however if the winery wants to use the design in there labeling I would need to personally charge for that...if that occurs and in what format would I need to send to facilitate printing and what what would be a fair price for the art work...I've never done that before.

-

[ June 07, 2016, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all of them, but B if I had to choose. Would probably be nice if the graphic broke out of the border a bit.Other than that, I like the first 3 and all of the revisions.

Grandpa Dan with a Tennessee accent. Nice stuff as always?

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, you might want to send an email to David Smith in England. He's done booze labels recently. You'd have to change pounds to ounces or something like that, though.
Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Oh...photoshop cs6? Dammit. The idea I had would never work.
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Don...really good to hear from you buddy...seems like our personal preferences are often the same...and I think on this one as well...great suggestion to have the grape clusters spill over the edges...the overlapping will add a lot of dimension...thanks.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Bill Reusch
Visitor
Member # 8028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Reusch   Email Bill Reusch       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They all look great! C jumps out to me best due to the contrast in the landscape.

--------------------
Bill Reusch
Reusch Sign Company
3258 80th. ave.
Knapp, Wis. 54749
715-665-2647

Posts: 83 | From: Knapp, Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,
I like them all.

I think you should make one of each.

Brad
signbrad

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like A with the revisions. Very nice work, Rusty. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, I'm particularly always impressed with your installation designs. These alone could make one h3ll of a book, even with no layouts included...just blank install designs.

Signcraft or Signs of the Times might be interested in helping you out with a project like that. ...or even a dvd with vectors of same. Now that would be terrific "clip art" with a different slant to it. Hey, you're retired. Why not squeeze a few more dollars out of all those years of skills and talent...without having to dig any more post holes?

I'd highly recommend Ron at letterheadsignsupply.com. He's pretty darn good at marketing this kind of thing, too.

Just food for thought. I would think you would have a boatload of vector install designs on your hard drive already.

[ June 08, 2016, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, your designs are beautiful and it's hard to make a choice, partially because you have so much imagery in there, which is not so typical of sign design. How would you propose that these designs be constructed...hand paint those images flat...apply them as digital prints...do the grapes perhaps as a dimensional element...or something else? I do prefer the arched top sign frame and I do think you definitely need to propose a whole design package with the sign, labels, table covers, business cards, etc.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Again someone else will be building this...but given my capabilities this is how I would personally make these 2 designs...any other suggestions of different methods would be appreciated and I'll pass it on.

-

a cheaper rectangular version...flat mdo background with all other elements raised... including borders... with 1" hdu

[ June 09, 2016, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my market, it would likely be printed vinyl on coroplast. And they'd opt for attaching it to two fence posts. [Eek!]

In all fairness, there is some nice signage in this area, but you're going to burn through some gas looking for them.

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

You get an A...

...for all of them!

I think the revised A likely has the elements the client has asked for.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer not breaking up the Big Creek, and Winery. Your last one is terrific, Rusty.

But... what about enlarging the B and the K a smidgin, so they overhang winery a tad, and arcing BigcreeK a tweak ?

(I prefer the idea of Big Creek and Winery being of slightly different emphasis each, rather than being totally the same)

[ June 09, 2016, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

[ June 27, 2016, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them all. I suspect that C would be the easiest for a newbie to make though, both the carving and pictorial are smaller and a bit less intimidating and because of that if they are a bit rough it won't be as noticeable.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

[ June 28, 2016, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, I'm sure no one can find fault with your edited comment. You're not trying to run for office are you?

[ June 28, 2016, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOPIC Q:
Which Would Make the Best Sign?

A
A customer with an UNLIMITED budget.

Seriously tho' Rusty - the layouts are
amazing.
I love your art - depth - any art with the receding perspective fading into light or a point is very inspiring to me.
I find myself trying to fit it in to any sort of landscape bc it just draws you in - not only visually, but emotionally & philosophically.

[ July 12, 2016, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Don - I'd buy your book in a heartbeat.... seriously.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!