Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Long Lasting prints?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long Lasting prints?
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pipeline company that wants identification labels for use on outdoor pipelines. They want a red background and white imprint. Here's the rub. They want 500 to 1,000 labels, every one would be different copy (they identify the pipeline sections) and they want them to last 10 years. I know if no such product so I'm asking here. I didn't ask the customer yet if all the pipes were painted white where we could cut and reverse weed HP red vinyl as that is the only thing that I know of that would last 10 years. Man that would be days of weeding.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS USUAL.......... you got some idiot in charge, who KNOWS NOTHING, expecting the world to met his expectations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the best thing you can do for them(i do it here a big paper company IP)i do 8" X 10", 9" X 12" or 16" .040 aluminum in yellow with black letters cut vinyl and i do the danger signs in white with black/red letters in VINYL......these can be bent to fit the pipe or just stuck/hung on the pipe....
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ June 04, 2016, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Print, lam, cut
This stuff is good.
http://www.hyatts.com/sign/tuff-cover-uv-laminate-8-mil-27in-x-10yd-T89181

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I see that quite a number of manufacturers classify their product as "10yr film". 3M, Avery and others I'm sure. The funny thing is that for example, 3MIJ180cv3 is a 10 year product but the laminate 8518, 8519 or 8520 are only classified as a 5 year product. I would quote them printing on that type of material and provide the manufacturers specs and let them decide if they want that. Even though they want 10 year material, you certainly aren't going to guarantee it for 10 years yourself so I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

In 1998 I ordered prints from Gregory, Inc for a customers semi job trailer. They were printed on 3M ControlTac with laminate. I saw that trailer on a site about 2 weeks ago, and the HP vinyl lettering is starting to lift a little around the edges, but the prints still look good.

Lately I have been ordering 3M ControlTac prints w/laminate from Signs365, and I hope to get near the same life from them.

Order the prints, multiply cost by 6, invoice them. If a few prints don't last 10 years, you made enough to replace them if you feel you need to.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm looking at something wrong, but this job looks like a nightmare to me; and probably one that I'd walk away from.

500 to 1000 labels, ALL DIFFERENT? No matter how they're done, you're not going to get any kind of discount for quantity. Each one will have to be printed or cut individually. And, I don't see how you could realistically guarantee any materials we have today for 10 years...since they will be out in direct exposure to the elements, and red is probably the most fade-prone color.

Like you said, this could take weeks.....and possibly result in your having to undergo some type of mental therapy for the rest of your life.
Get paid very well for it......or walk, no, run, away.

[ June 05, 2016, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a company here in pcola....that does small stickers in high quantities. but the text being different for each one..........i see you laying each one out, keeping track of them, having to provide a mass printer with somekinda file so he can run it on his machinery. and iam betting the guy dont want to spend a lot of money)))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea, don't know if it'll help...
Back to the idea of HP vinyl letters: Some stencil style letters look better than others. Not all look like military Sarge's favorite. The thing about stencil style letters is that they weed faster. No centers of letters to pull.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

those signs i did(yellow black letters)are a swiss font(corel)new blade, can almost just "suicide weed" the copy........i did close to 100 of these... at 9 X 12, 10 X 16. then they had me do close to 40 feet(24")of 3-4 inch text cut vinyl that they stuck on the floor and clear coated....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the 3M Control Tack with lamination that Don used. My printer agreed that the combination has been producing prints lasting 10 years so I'm not going to worry about it. Let them try to find me in Texas..LOL

This will get boring laying them all out but I'll go ahead and get bored for $75 an hour for 2 days worth of computer work.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years ago, a customer wanted me to put a 25 year warranty on a masonry sign. I told them that I had no doubt the sign would last a long time, however, I wasn't about to accept responsibility for redoing something when I was 80 years old. We got the job and I don't have to worry about performing wheelchair stone work.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!