Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Off topic general computer repair question for the geeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off topic general computer repair question for the geeks
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was attempting to clean my laptop fans today and stripped a screw on each of the two fans. Blew out what dust I could, which seems a lot, as it probably should be for an 8 year old computer that's never been cleaned. But, I'd really like to remove the fans and really do the job right. What I did do seems to have helped a LOT.

So, the question is, any good tricks for removing a stripped screw in a computer? If it was in a piece of furniture, I'd just go at it and the darn thing would be out one way or the other. But the inside of a computer is a bit more delicate.

I guess I could take it in and have the pros take care of it, but I'd prefer to try to do it myself first. I'm a midwesterner and that's just the way we do things. [Wink]

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . Well en tha south - we imper'vise a lot ... lol

Maybe you could find some repair geek who has a dozen of these layin' around - they'd probably give you some screws.

If you have to drill it out to retap then you'll obviously have to have larger screws ...
Which you may be able to get at any machine tool & die shop -

But computer geeks are the best source. Every town has a at least a dozen guys who 'collect' computers for 'parts' . . .
The younger the better too.
They take everything very seriously for the experience & as personal challenge - they won't stop til they figure something out . . .

[ April 20, 2016, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don,
Couple weeks ago I changed my son's laptop motherboard, I did run the same problem with a stripped screw, I had to drill it out using a small bit smaller that the screw and no putting to much pressure on it while you are drilling, it will go thru easy, I used slow speed.. I did not have any problem at all, even I was so carful not to damage the motherboard, I hope this helps and good luck!

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with laptops is everything is so tiny and delicate, normal tools are of no use. Googling your problem brings up a number of suggestions. Not many I would want to try, tiny drill bit and tiny screw extractor sounded best to me. Actually, computer geek sounds best. One of them would probably remove the screws, supply you with replacements for a lot less time, trouble and money you woud spend on your own.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 year old laptop......best thing for it.....dont spend any money on it. i have a SONY VAIO GR-300(1999-2000 it was new)top of the line ass kicker. NOW..its my automotive diagnostic computer. still running XP.
i bought a ($11.65)ELM327 cable(this connected the vehicle OBCD2 port to a USB laptop port and there are free d/l programs that do vehicle diagnostics. if you gota get it fixed take it to someone with the proper tools....cant fix these thing with sledge hammer and crescent wrench)))) i have 2 tool kits for computers....as for a drill i would use a DREMEL...and the debris from the drilling CANT GO
INTO THE COMPUTER...so i would drill it so the debris fall away from the m/b.
i found a web page called DELL AUCTIONS. http://www.dellauction.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay and they have some deals there on DELL leased computers. some under $200. also i was looking at new small laptops at wally world....under $200. like i said after a certain amount of time its time to move up.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost me, Joe. So, a used Dell laptop will help me remove the two stripped screws holding my fan, and let me get underneath with canned air... how? ))))))))) [Confused]

I don't have any contacts in Huntsville...or this state for that matter. So, no chance of hooking up with a geek any time soon. (my ex is no longer the biggest mistake of my life....Alabama is). I might check at the computer store and see how much they would charge to remove and replace those screws, and clean it good while they're at it. Surely not much, but I've been surprised/shocked before.

For what it's worth, blowing out what dust I could, even with not getting underneath the fans like was my plan, helped the laptop's performance a lot. Never realized what a big deal that was.

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to inform you that your old laptop is a dinosaur))))hahahahahahahahaha......your question about the screws WAS ANSWERED BY MY POST..... and i added the post about getting a newer computer because with my extensive knowledge of computers.....old computers, are like old cars, they reach a point of where they keep breaking down, will cost you more then they are worth......and the technology of it is outdated and after you fix this, something else will need to be done...... like i said i have a SONY VAIO since 2000......it is so old it has a card to plug in for the internet))))cant put any more then 512 of ram in it, and most computers today are running 2-4 GIG ram))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Joe. The link to where I could buy a used Dell seemed like you were just pulling my chain.

Yes, it's old for a laptop (mac, of course). But, it has 8 gigs of ram, 2.4ghz and a 500 gig ssd. The most intensive programs I use are photoshop and lightroom...mostly lightroom...and it runs those with no problems.

I just needed to clean behind the two fans to apparently get it back to running like new again. Not a, oh cr@p...better buy a new computer...situation. Believe it or not, 8 year old mac laptops are not necessarily ready to be boat anchors, or car diagnostic computers. ))))

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don....This might or might not be of help...but here goes.

An old trick I learned was, if you strip a Phillips head screw, use a smaller drill bit to drill a small round area in the middle of the head. Then use an appropriate sized Robertson screwdriver to ease the screw out. The combination of the original phillips slots and the drilled out center will give a Robertson driver plenty of "bite".

The secret to the way it works is that, unlike Phillips screwdrivers with tapered heads, the Robertson screwdriver head has vertical sides so they don't "slip" out of the screw head.

Edited to add example..

-

(I know that Robertson drivers are unusual in the USA but might be available in one of those cheapie combo packs with one handle and various bits?)

[ April 21, 2016, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

the drilling it out.....is the best way to go.......
BUT MY CONCERN ........is with the bits of metal that come off the drill..............FALLING INTO THE MOTHERBOARD.....and getting caught in between an electrical connection.....then when power is put to it.... SHORTS THE M/B OUT!!!! best way to drill it would be to have the computer m/b upside down, so when the filings fall off the drill bit they dont go into the computer))))

[ April 21, 2016, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother in law bought me a set (4?) of "screw extractors". Having had very 'limited' results with a similar tool that we always called "E-Z out"; I was skeptical. But I had 4 of 8 little screws on the top of a gas tank get stripped. There was good gas in the tank, and I was in no mood to try using an angle grinder or anything that would make sparks. So I tried the screw extractors. Very impressive, as in 100% results. They look like a cross between a drill bit and a self drilling screw. It's like the fine threads pull the two cutter edges down into the slots part of the screw head, then, it jams into there, (this is all in reverse, or counterclockwise direction) and the screw comes on out. The two cutter edges cut just a little way in, then become the 'grab' that does the work.
I highly recommend it, and, as far as I know, this was the Harbor Freight variety.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try a set of these
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Screw-Out%C2%AE-Damaged-Screw-Remover/dp/B005B9NENA

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

jim & brian.......those are good tools when you have a screw/bolt broke off......of the size they will work on. the screw inside a laptop on the fan......is just a little bigger then the screws on your eyeglasses that they sell little replacment kits for........in dimensional terms.....if the fan screw is bigger then 1/8" diameter shaft & a 3/16" head........i would be surprised. i have a small tackle box......full of screws for computers...... [IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe are those screws smaller than a #1 driver?

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

I do not think they are smaller then these

http://www.esslinger.com/precision-screw-extractors-and-phillips-screwdrivers-set-of-6/?gclid=COrp-c2wo8wCFVdahgod3oEEWQ

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

those may work.but ya still gota drill.....to use them...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're worried about metal bits when drilling, you might strategically place a shop vac near when you are doing so.

Keep in mind, a shop vac generates plenty of static so you should ground it in some way. Many years ago, I fried a computer by using a shop vac on it.

If you manage to toast it while using the vac, then you can buy Joe's Dell...

I'm such good help!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

vacumm is a good idea......but the filings off the drill.....can get into a small spot........and may not cause a problem till some time later when it gets dis-lodged and then causes a short.....better not to drop anything into a laptop.......i did the other day,was changing out the ram, one of the screws that hold the back cover on got in there.....took a while to get it out as i couldnt see where it went.)))))))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been mesmerized by the pic of Joe's computer fan. What the heck is that pile of yellow fluffy stuff? Looks like blown-in insulation like they put in attics?

I'm going to try something the gal at the Apple store said she's done with some success. Drop of superglue on the screw head, then hold the screwdriver on it until the glue sets.

This is a second hand laptop. I wonder if the original owner might have cleaned the fans and tightened the screws past what was necessary. It doesn't make sense that 4 out of the six screws came out with ease, and only two were tight enough to strip the heads.

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

i dont think the superglue to screwdrive will do much, to dissimilar metals. in honesty, if you got good vacuum with a small end on it..........like a piece of 1/4" plastic tube.....and stuck it down in fan.....i would do that and call it done. its run for all these years with the crap in there, it will take that many more years for it to build up to where it now. and since you dont smoke anymore.....it wont have the tar and nicotine in there to attract the dust. they sell an adapter called a mini vacuum set that makes a std vacuum get into the small places with good suction.....$10
http://www.centralvacuumonline.com/products/general/accessories/cleaningtools/mini-vac-attachment-set/?gclid=CjwKEAjwxoG5BRCC7ezlzNmR8HUSJAAre36jxP_fH4ZGiCrkOa7injgpydAnmmO-AD0Kg89uVfbY xBoCjAXw_wcB

[ April 28, 2016, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!