Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CorelDraw Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CorelDraw Question
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a situation that I never worried about when using CorelDraw for cutting vinyl, but since being retired and tackling increasingly more complex drawings, it is something I find frustrating.

When I create a simple curved shape and want to apply a fountain fill, I don't know how, or if, it is possible to make the fountain fill follow the curve of the shape. Working with CDX7.

I know I could do it using blend, but fountain fill is smoother.

Comments? ideas?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May have to contour then combine. Send me what you have to fountain fill.

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked the same question on another message board, with some mixed results...

The best answer is got was the mesh tool.

http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/Working-with-the-Mesh-Fill-Tool?retURL=%2Froxio%2Fapex%2FrSelectProduct%3Flang%3Den_US&popup=true

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This probably doesn't help much for what your trying to do, but for me it's usually a line of text I'm trying to do this with. I break the text apart and apply and tweak the fill to each letter.
A little time consuming but works ok most of the time. This isn't an option if it's a single graphic.
Will try the mesh tool next time...

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It looks like the mesh tool is the way to go for this project.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dittos on the mesh tool.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Well, I played around with the mesh fill tool today and am starting to figure out how to manipulate it properly. Yet another tool for this old brain to learn! [Big Grin]

I love it!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mesh tool works great. But for a simpler solution, the contour tool works great. Just increase your steps and reduce the contour size until you're happy with how it looks.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Thanks for also mentioning "contour" Phillip. It just wouldn't work for certain elements on this project.

Multiple gradient colours within each element.

The mesh tool is definitely the way to go and after a couple of days, I am getting used to how it works.

The fountain fill and Mesh tool produce smooth colour transitions when you zoom in. Contour doesn't.

I am trying to create a complex vector drawing that looks "realistic" in full colour, that has no overlapping lines with everything trimmed so that, when viewed in wireframe mode, it looks very simple.

I'll post the final results in a week or so when I finish the project.

Many of the features of CorelDraw, I was fortunate enough to have learned first hand by watching someone, in person. Bob Stephens and Gail Beattie were two of the best that helped me in the past.

Currently, I'd love to just sit down and look over the shoulder of someone like Joe Diaz and ask him some questions!!!! [Smile]

[ February 12, 2016, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

I have looked over Joe' shoulder, and asked lots of questions, and got lots of answers, but my mind still doesn't work like his. I have learned a lot from Joe, but I still have soooo much more to learn. Now you've got me wanting to learn more about the mesh tool as well.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Don...Like a lot of Corel's advanced features, the mesh tool, I am finding, is something that requires quite a bit of practice. I'm getting better with it after a few days but still have a long way to go.

As an aside, I have been running into mouse problems in the last couple of days. I think I have worn it out!!! At least my Google searches on the problems I am having with it are reported by others too. I guess you can only click on the left button so many times and the interior copper contacts will start to get fatigued.(Today I was working away and suddenly noticed that one element of a project had disappeared, due to the mouse malfunction. Good thing the "un-do" level was set to 150 because I used most of them to restore what had been deleted! And I had only been working for 5 or 10 minutes. It is amazing how often we click on that left mouse button when working on a graphic project!)

I will be on the hunt for a new mouse on Monday in Merida, MX with my "Spanglish" finely tuned!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

[ February 13, 2016, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Found a new mouse today!!! On a whim, I went to the local Bodega Aurrera (Walmart subsidiary) and found a Logitech mouse with a unifying receiver. Set it up and it works perfectly!!! [Smile]

$298 pesos (about $15.75 US) Now I can continue my "hobby" without frustration. [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope this isn't too off topic, but after I upgraded from my old PC to a laptop, (and then later my old CAMM 1 died)...I found I couldn't install my old Corel 8 into my newer laptop. I miss having it for designing all sorts of things for personal use.
If I want to be able to install Corel Draw into Win 7, how new does it have to be? And since I am no retired I can't spend a lot, nor do I want to seeing as it's mostly crafts and fun stuff I'm doing now. I would hope to find a used version online.
Any suggestions?
Dave, how are you enjoying life in Mexico? [Smile]

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Adrienne, I know for sure that CorelDraw ver.X3 will install and work perfectly with Windows 7. I wouldn't bother with any earlier version of CorelDraw. You should be able to pick up a used copy pretty cheap on E-Bay.

Edited to add....Just checked aand a brand new full version of X3 can be had for $30 on E Bay.

We are loving life in Mexico, however we only live here for 7 months of the year. During the warmer months we still live in Canada. We kinda live a "dual" life. Two complete households, two different vehicles, two complete sets of legal documentation. When we live in Mexico we are Mexican and when we live in Canada we are Canadian. It's a lot of fun!!!! [Smile]

[ February 16, 2016, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave!
The Yucatan peninsula is quite spectacular, I imagine where you are is a bit away from the Cancun hotelera areas, I wouldn't even want to visit there again now, but if I remember correctly you are up the coast a bit near Merida?
It's been many years ago, but I spent 2 weeks in Cancun and Isla Mujeras, back in the 80's, I bet it's not the same now.
Sounds like the best retirement life ever!
[Thanks] for the advice on Corel, I'll go check it out.
Just hope this old, one legged lady can handle the learning curve to remember how to just install it even!! [Rolling On The Floor]
edited to ask: if I see 'Tutorial Training/plus' is this some limited version, or what I want? those all run $30 average
A:) [Thanks]

[ February 17, 2016, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Adrienne Pereira ]

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Adrienne...Just look for the CorelDraw Graphics Suite. You don't want/need the tutorial stuff.

Yes, we are about 200 miles west of Cancun, on the beach, directly north of Merida.

And Yes...Even during the last 18 years, there have been huge changes everywhere on the peninsula. Some for the better and some for the worse.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!