Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 3D materials

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3D materials
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting ready to design my first foam monument sign and would like some input on materials. The core of the sign (not shown) will be made of hard-coated 1.5# density EPS foam. The image is just the elements which will be attached to the foam core. The larger letters and "brain" will be made of HDU. The small letters will probably be PVC. If it were you, would you make the "box" of HDU? I Or make it, separate parts from the "brain", out of clear Lexan. Or would the glare from the clear plastic be a problem? I know a big cube of clear plastic would be out of the question. What do ya think?
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it double sided?
What is the layout like?

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this one will be single sided. Pretty much what you see in the photo. I just have to design a monument shape. Then I'll cut that out on the hotwire machine, but cut the 3D copy on the router.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what's worth...my brain sees the glare and reflections of the plastic as being a real problem...potentially making a very simple concept a rather confusing one for the observer...the plastic walls are not needed...I think if the "brain in box" is done dimensionally accurate from front corner to rear corner the brain will read fine as being confined within the perimeters of the box...often very little variations in depth can define something successfully...of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know in that respect...good luck bro.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I was thinking that could be a problem too. Just wasn't sure. I will make that part out of a separate piece in HDU so, I can always change it if I don't like it. I will try designing it for a piece of 2" HDU, using your suggestion, with the "box" a little thicker in the center, tapering to thinner at the sides, then putting standoffs behind the whole thing. Thanks Rusty and Jeff [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!