Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Adding flourishes to letters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adding flourishes to letters
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the more fascinating features of Inkscape is the ability to modify letters relatively easily compared to other vector based drawing programs.

The flourishes I put on these script letters did not take terribly long even though I am a novice at Inkscape. It's true that these effects can be done in other programs, with bezier tools, for example. But it's slow, at least it is for me. And the results are not always graceful.

These examples are not perfect, obviously. But they could be.
Inkscape does this with a feature called SPIRO SPLINE in its path effects editor that allows you to make smooth curves almost effortlessly. With practice, a person could become very good at modifying individual letters quickly.

A lettering artist with a long-haired brush will always have an edge on doing stuff like this, in my opinion. Still, the spiro spline feature is one of the things I like about Inkscape. And, of course, I can output flourishes like this to a router or an engraver just as easily as to a vinyl cutter.

The original unmodified letters are in green. The font is called Dancing Script.

-

Brad in Kansas City

signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Brad! If every sign artist used fonts as a starting point instead of just typing them out any sending them off the world would be a better place. Or at least a little fancier.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yours looks very nice, Brad, like Dan said.

But we need to do stuff like this in moderation; or you wind up with a font like Scriptina (check it out). This font is finding its way onto more business signs, and is very hard to read, depending on the letters used....way too 'frilly'.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice flow to the flourishes...seems like every time I tried to embellish a letter I was never satisfied with it...not my strong point.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sketchbook Pro has a tool very similar to this, but it's not a vector program. I haven't tried it for this purpose, but sure going to now.
Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks,Dan. I appreciate your comment.

Dale, your point cannot be overemphasized. Legibility should always prevail, and flourishes can easily be overdone, or can even be inappropriate for a given job.

Rusty,
Flourishes were never my strong point, either. I could pull it off sometimes with paint and highliner brushes, but I have spent so much time messing with Bezier curves and tweaking nodes that I always was frustrated in the vector programs I have used (Signlab, Illustrator, Graphics Advantage, etc).

Of course, making paths with Bezier curves has many years of history behind it. Most vector programs support it. I envy the people who get good and fast at doing it.
But Beziers can be frustrating, too. At least part of the reason for this is that a Bezier node has a built-in "direction" to it. So any time you move a Bezier node you often need to tweak the handles, too. It's labor-intensive. Heck, it's almost easier to hand paint a flourish and then scan it!
When you consider that a Bezier node is really THREE nodes in one—the main node and the two handles—it's easy to see how working with Beziers can eat time.

Inkscape must use a completely different kind of math when you tweak spiro spline paths. Bezier handles don't even show up till you convert the spiro path to a regular path.

I sound like an Inkscape salesman, I know. Except, it's a free program.

Brad
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!