Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I've been working on the railroad!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've been working on the railroad!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be no end to the variety of projects that come through our shop. One of the last pieces we are building for Trinidad is a pirate train. This project really got me thinking. I wasn't sure what a pirate train might look like. Also we specialize in theme work not mechanical things so we partnered up with one of the very best train builders in the world. I had met Sean Bautista of Hillcrest Shops in 2001 at a Grand Scales convention in Illinois. We have kept in touch all these years - waiting for the time we could work together on a fun project.

I did the preliminary design about three years ago as a 0-4-0 locomotive

-

As we got into the design the engine became a 0-6-0 That means no leading wheels, six driving wheels and no trailers or tender wheels. Hillcrest Shops is doing all the engineered technical drawings and building the mechanical components and running gear. We are doing the engine and car bodies.

-

Now at last the mechanical parts are nearing completion in California. The car bodies are complete here and in the next week or so we'll have all the necessary measurements to build the train body. The photos below show the train engine chassis under construction. Look in the background and you can see a Disneyland train in rebuild.

-

-

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love trains and appreciate your post and drawing. Always an inspiration. You might remember we purchased (Depot renovation, Inc.) the illinois Central Depot here in Cherokee, Iowa, and we're still going strong - 25 years later.

Mick Samsel - met you in Mazeppa, MN

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks like a 917 or a 956 GTP race car body, or maybe a Can Am race body in red fiberglass in the background of the frame picture,where he is wearing the black shirt.

[ October 27, 2015, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Sandy Baird ]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific sketches, Dr Seuss!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy

You have sharp eyes. I saw the car too. Elsewhere on their Facebook page I found another photo of the project noting it was a high horsepower 350 in the car.

-

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We decided to do up two quick study models of the train and made good progress in one day. One of the models will be for our own display while the second will go to our train builder in California. Having a model of our train on display in his office is simply good business for he does a lot of work for theme parks and private collectors across North America.

The study model will be used to work out the final scale and fitment of all the bits and pieces before we begin work on the real thing in a week or so.

Building two models will take only a little longer than building one and is a good investment in our future. This morning I built the routing files and had two sets of pieces including the bases, tracks, wheels and frames all routed and glued up by quitting time. We'll paint these pieces up tomorrow and start in on the upper portions as well. In a couple of days these little beauties will be ready for display.

-

-grampa dan

[ October 28, 2015, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a banner yesterday. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it was a very nice banner Raymond. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!