Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dark spots in glue layer of fabricated push thru letters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark spots in glue layer of fabricated push thru letters
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just finished some routered aluminum faces with clear "push thru" letters. The faces of the letters are covered with translucent Silver vinyl, with the edges remaining clear.
There are thousands of dark spots visible in the glue layer when viewing the letters from the edges.

Materials used: 1-inch thick optically clear acrylic FCO letters bonded to a 3/16-inch sheet of 7328 White acrylic.
Glue used was a 50/50 mix of Weld On 3 and Weld On 16. Letters were weighted after gluing.

Anybody had this happen before?

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Brad in Kansas City
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the adhesive melted onto the edge.
You did cut it with a down bit right.
Normal would be vertical chatter marks

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told these were not router cut, John. They came from Gemini, so I am assuming waterjet cut.

The spots are not on the edges but in the glue layer between the 1-inch clear letters and the 3/16-inch white backer.

They look like air pockets in the glue to me, but the employee claimed he had good capillary action between the two surfaces during the gluing process, though I did not watch the glue-up. Good capillary action should have rendered an even layer of solvent glue between the surfaces, nearly invisible, in my opinion.

Had the letters not been clear, this probably not would have been an issue. I don't know why 1-inch white acrylic was not chosen for the letters. I wasn't in on the planning of this one. It is a very expensive sign on which to be experimenting with untried methods.

Brad
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having trouble understanding your photo, sorry.

Why did you mix the two glues?

I use straight methylene chloride to glue acrylic together if it is a wide area, close capiliary action fit.
I use Weldon when there are gaps to be bridged or fillets to fill.

Have you tried to melt the bond apart (or break it somehow) and sand the faces smooth, and reglue them?

Why did you choose optically clear acrylic when it was going to have a vinyl face and a white back end?

If you mixed the 2 glues, I'm suspecting airbubbles were inadvertently stirred into the mix while they were being mixed. Somehow you then got 'solvent pop' happening in the tiny airpockets stirred in, after they'd had time to think about getting even with you!

[ September 24, 2015, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My remedy suggestion is go and buy an aerosol can of white acrylic lacquer- automotive grade - put the letters face down, to protect the silver vinyl, and fog a mist-coat of white acrylic lacquer over the letter sides.

If you can keep it an even dusting, then when it's all switched on, it'll look barely any different from 'normal'.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm having trouble understanding your photo, sorry.
Why did you mix the two glues?
I use straight methylene chloride to glue.
I use Weldon when there are gaps to be bridged or fillets to fill.

Have you tried to melt the bond apart (or break it somehow) and sand the faces smooth, and reglue them?

Why did you choose optically clear acrylic when it was going to have a vinyl face and a white back end?

If you mixed the 2 glues, I'm suspecting airbubbles were inadvertently stirred into the mix while they were being mixed. Somehow you then got 'solvent pop' happening in the tiny airpockets stirred in, after they'd had time to think about getting even with you!

Ian,

The close up picture is confusing.
I don't know why our fabricator mixed the two glues. I agree that only the water consistency Weld On #3, which is mostly methylene chloride, should have been used by itself. Mixing the thick #16 with the #3 probably negated any chance of good capillary action.
I, too, suspected that stirring the two introduced bubbles.

Why were the letters ordered in clear? Very good question. I believe they should have been white. At the very least, the process should have been tested.

I was not really involved with this job till I was asked my opinion when it messed up.
I am curious to see what they do to fix it.

Brad

signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with ian.. The mixed glue was too thick to allow for the complete capillary action.

I do not believe one can take the glued pieces apart. The solvent melts the plastic so they can combine into one.

I use pure methylene chloride to seal up plastic. IT is perfect for building aquariums because the seal is invisible.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

In theory, the faces are stuck forever, but I have been able to separate two seemingly bonded faces, back to their most of their former alter-egos, on occasions, after a day of them sitting around...

You think the innermost parts which have been bonded are as set as the outermost parts, but often the glue might be still invisibly wet, and not yet firmly bonded in.

In other words, I have successfully undone a stuff-up, and fixed it, when it appeared all was lost... though theoretically I should not have been able to separate the faces.
It was an interesting exercise, and I learned a lot - particularly not to assume all apparently well-bonded surfaces were actually so...

When you get some spare time, it is worth experimenting, to see just how good a bond you can get, and what it takes to split it.
Use some MeCl to glue two bits of 10mm clear acrylic, and when you think it's set, attack the side of it with a hammer...

[ September 25, 2015, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

quote:
attack the side of it with a hammer
I will try this.
It sounds like fun, actually.

Brad

signbrad.com

[ September 25, 2015, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Brad Ferguson ]

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!