Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » LINUX USERS...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LINUX USERS...
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had a little time(well a lot of it) after spending a week............getting WINDOWS 10 activated, and really not seeing it as an improvement over WIN 7.............one of my friends suggested i give LINUX MINT a look.
its a free d/l, no product key/activation crap. took 10 min to d/l the ISO. 8 minutes to burn a dvd.
i dug up one of my old 80 gig w/d ide hard drives, formated it and set it up in my computer as drive C:\. does some strange jump into the bios, then it starts the dvd iso, from there its really simple, straight forward. LINUX WILL FORMAT the drive and starts the install. similar to WINDOWS it askes language, location and then it does a full install on a blank hard drive . once its loaded, it will ask if you want play with it or exit and any changes you made while playing with it...............will take place on reboot. it asks you to removed the media from dvd then it will shut down. like i said the boot is again..........strange as it goes to bios, you hit the escape key, and it askes if you want to disguard any changes...i hit ok..........then it boots into a screen similar to any windows ..........it has its own prgrams for CD/DVD creation/playing. installs OPEN OFFICE, GIMP 2.8, INKSCAPE, MOZILLA FOXFIRE. connects to the Internet seamlessly. i loaded OPERA internet browser, no problem.
it works faster the WIN 10(on an SSD), even on an old IDE drive. jumping to programs is quick, and you can add most other programs to it without a problem with something they call "wine" supposedly any windows programs will operate in LINUX .............EXCEPT 1.................COREL. seeing as it in my #1 used program for my work............ill kinda have to stay with win 7 as long as i can.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow............i love the way you load programs on it. it has a SOFTWARE MANAGER. you go into it as administrator and it gives you tons of free programs to choose from. i loaded INKSCAPE in bout 2 minutes. i also found XARA XL, LINUX based XARA. same with it less then 2 minutes..it loaded now if i can learn inkscape i wont need corel. INKSCAPE has a cutter driver to work from linux.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to mess with it a lot; regarded it as a digital activism of sorts. Having people familiar with an alternative OS would counteract the monopoly of Windows. It used to be that the issue was -drivers- for hardware; but last time I checked, they were finally getting serious about making a lot of current and even some retro drivers available. Back then, I only had dial up, and it was a big hassle on Linux. What you're describing sounds pretty slick; although a number of those nice features have been around for years. The install options were great. Now that I have wifi, maybe I should look into it again.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put one of the Linux versions on an old xp computer a few months ago just playing around. It works very well and easy to use. For normal computer needs it works good. There are quit a few programs and as more programs come out, I could see using it more often.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP....can you cut from inkscape to a roland....hahahaha

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

OP....can you cut from inkscape to a roland on a Linux computer ?...hahahaha

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

yes...........the inkscape driver is available....but i got to learn to use INKSCAPE)))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Mint and Inkscape about a year ago, but didn't like the idea of learning a new graphics program. I didn't really try too hard, though, because it just didn't look like Inkscape could do much compared to Corel.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

XARA XL...........free linux based program......looks a lot like corel. if you remember corel took on XARA back when corel 8 CAME OUT. IT WAS a lot of XARA and corel 7..........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been playing with Inkcape a little. I like the way it traces and I like the spiro-spline tool.

How do you tell it to make a 3-inch letter?

Brad in Kansas City
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Brad, type your text and up at the top is the size, it has an "H" next to it.
Mine was set to pixels, but just to the right you can change it to inches, feet, etc...

Click the padlock if you want it to change height and length..unclick it for just the height to change.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Tony.
I was hoping there was a better way.

This is definitely a major flaw in Inkscape —not being able to actually specify a 3-inch letter. If you have a word with round letters in it and you size it to 3-inch height after you type it in, that means the straight letters are going to be almost an eighth shy of 3. And if your word has descenders, the problem is even more complicated.
It's not a deal breaker, but a nuisance.

A pixel is a silly height measurement.

Still, I like Inkscape. Heck, I like anything free.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

ubder FILE
find DOCUMENT PROPERTIES
change PX to IN........THEN save so when you go back in you can pul up the page in INCHES........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

In corel the only way I know of to make each letter exactly 3" is to break the letters apart, convert to curves, and size each letter separately.

Exact center for lines of text is usually off a little too.
Type three lines of text, center justify the text on a page.
Also snap a vertical guideline center of page.
Break the lines of text apart.
Convert all text to curves.
Check the lines of text with the guideline.
Now the lines of text shows off center, some fonts worse than others.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

depends on the FONT how it gets the TOTAL HIGHT. most fonts it will be the total of the O, S, C, G Q and sometimes the U))))those being rounded..........will go above and below any flat top/bottom letter....to keep the letters looking uniform.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Sorry. I didn't explain myself well.

What I meant was that it would be helpful if you could specify a nominal 3-inch letter in Inkscape, rather than a pixel size.
The drop-down font size menu in the program only allows you to indicate pixel sizes for fonts. You can't call out an inch size before you begin typing. The other design programs I have used allow you to determine a letter size in inches, millimeters, or points, before entering text.

It's true that you can change the increments for drawing in the program under DOCUMENT PROPERTIES, as Joe said. That is certainly a good thing. But why not be able to change the increments for letter size as well? Why is type size only available in multiples of pixels?

This flaw seems incredible when I think about it. It would be like having a box of drill bits without really knowing any of the sizes and being forced to guess each time. Or, better yet, how about a drill bit set only in pixel sizes? I can't imagine such short-sightedness during the early software builds of this program.

Inkscape has many amazing features. I really like the way it vectorizes. Also, the spiro-spline feature can allow you to do some cool modifications to letterforms, and I've not seen anything quite like it in any other program. So I hope that a future version will allow you to call out letter sizes in inches or millimeters.

Brad

signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never used Inkscape..so forgive me for asking...

Fonts are vector, what do pixels have to do with anything?

Pixels are raster terms not vector terms.

Am I missing something???

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

go back to sleep.....hehehehehehehehe
PIXELS are how inkscape measures fonts.......TO START WITH. SAME AS COREL....... you set the size of the font you want it to be when you set it on the work page. in COREL mine is set for 144...... once it is place on the work page THEN YOU can manipulate it INCHES................INKSCAPE does the same thing.........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Dave,

Inskcape's drop-down font menu only gives you a choice of pixel increments for specifying font height. It's silly, and it's a complaint on Inkscape user forums.

If I want a nominal 3-inch letter height in Inkscape I can achieve it one of two ways.

I can type in a pixel height of 296.2 and my straight letters, like the upper case 'E,' will be 3 inches tall. If I type in an upper case 'S' at 296.2 pixels, it will still be a nominal 3-inch 'S,' even though it extends above and below the lines. 3-inch letters are generally sized based based on the straight letters like 'E' or 'X.'

The other way I can make a nominal 3-inch letter in the program is by typing in an upper case 'E,' or some other straight letter, in any size, and then forcing it to an actual height of three inches on the work page. Any other letters I type in the same line will then be nominal 3-inch, even though the round letters be slightly larger, of course.

But if you type an upper case round letter and then force it to 3-inch actual height on the work page, any straight letters you type in afterward on the same line will be smaller than 3 inches. So to get nominal 3-inch letters you must type a straight letter first.

Totally lame.

And I agree it doesn't make any sense to call out vector letter sizes in pixel increments. It's just dumb. Besides, pixels are tied to screen resolution, are they not? The pixel is not a useful increment for specifying a letter height. I can only assume the engineers were drinking heavily at this phase of the software development.

...which reminds me, we have a new bar here in Kansas City. The Drunken Worm carries over 150 different tequilas. The variety is amazing.

Brad
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

1800........GOLD......... is the best))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brad...I figured it was kind of silly.

Joe, I just checked and there is no mention of pixels regarding Draw's font sizes. The list is "inches, millimeters, picas, points, ciceros, didots, Q"

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

corel is in POINTS... my bad...points pixel....what the diff.......once you have it on the work page.....in either program........you can size it BY INCH.........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Messing around with inkscape on my windows 7 machine, and found a way that might help speed things up.

Open the program and it starts a new page, set the font size to inches, set text justification, then go into the document properties and set all of the settings you want to change.
Then save that file in the inkscape directory in the shared template folder...something like "template inches"

Next time you start inkscape, click file and open recent, select that file and use that page that already has your preferences.

Haven't yet figured out how to save that page as default on start up...I know just enough to be dangerous. Probably a command line?

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

dont see a DEFAULT page setting other then the one IT SETS......if you dont do something like what you suggest.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

I think I'll stick to Corel Graphics Suite X7..It works fine on Win 10. And does everything I could ever wish it to do. Why re-invent the wheel with one that has bumpy spots?? [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

well........its kinda like when i figured out how to cut from corel(version 3.0, 1992)and some of the other sign folks who was owned by GERBER, SIGNLAB, FLEXI.....said corel would never be as good as those $4-5000.00 programs...........
guess who was wrong))))
WINDOWS 10...... they say is the last one. so looking for another operating system is a good thing. LINUX is 3-4 times faster then WIN 10, moving between programs is super quick........and it takes up less space on a hard drive. no PRODUCT KEY. no ACTIVATION needed to use the full program......and from what ive seen of LINUX.........WILL BE a great alternative to WINDOWS 10......
plus.....i like learnin new schit))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Linux..
I will not go to the subscription models. I like Photoshop 6 just fine.
I like inkscape.
I like fREE even more.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Set up a new inkscape page with your preferences, such as paper size, inches, etc. in document properties.

Save that page as "default.svg"
On windows 7 it asks if you want to overwrite the original default file, say yes.

Now when you open inkscape, this page will open on startup as default.

Probably the same on Linux...haven't tried it yet.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

same process

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!