Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The wheel and no deal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The wheel and no deal
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, I am trying to sell a sign to a very small used car dealship. I give em a price for a DiBond sign, he replys "Ahhhh,how much for a plastic sign?' I give em a price for a Corex sign, the reply, "How much for a banner" I haven't heard back, but at this point I might just sell em a can of spray paint.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so he wants to get a banner, but wants to know what type of glue to use so he could glue it on to plywood. (Picture me pulling out my hair)

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

I looked at their web site. Now this place is one of those used cars yards that is run out of a old house and shop with a big dirt yard. It has been turned into a used car lot. No landscaping of any kind other then natural trees and weeds. But the web site features very high end Porsches, Mercedes Benz and other fine European imports. Oh yeah, but their sign is plywood with a banner glued to it.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that who you want referring others like him to you?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone can post anything on a website, and many are not above lying or posting phony information, to make them look good.

How easy for them, when you drive up, to say "Oh, that Porsche....we sold it and the Mercedes last week." Are you going to know the difference?

The place is probably a rip-off, dealing with chop-shops and/or flood cars. Anymore, if I get a call from someone that just doesn't 'feel right', I tell them, "There's a shop, just down the street, that specializes in just the type of sign you're looking for, and their number is ---------"

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my years ...........of sign work.....USED CAR DEALERS.......ranked right up there with realtors and lawyers!!!!!!!!!
they want the cheapest, NOW... and pay the slowest!!!!!!
last phone call i had for a quote...."used car dealer"
i went there and he had the front of his building with 4 ft wide 10 ft tall aluminum panels 30 FEET LONG with a print on vinyl.......wanted me to PAINT(above the 8 ft door to 10 ft more)the new name on 4 ft X 30 of the sign!!!!!!! he was thinking i could paint it CHEAPER then if he got the same guy to make printed vinyl))))))))))))))))))))))needless to say..........i wasnt gona get up for less then $ 10 sq ft)))))))))))))))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup used car dealers are awesome people to deal with, ya just gotta go in knowing most likely you will be bargaining, so set up sales for it & be willing to offer options, then walk away when ya hit a fair deal.

The cheapos be glad ya lost the rest are are willing to upgrade & do pay fairly

This group of people are generally like to deal & it is just a game to them

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Collect your money before you hand over the banner!....or DECLINE as the others have said.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A paper sign would be too good for him.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say go for the rattle can version, it would be so much fun to do! [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made my money for 25 years handling the car dogs. The We Finance Everyone guys were the best money of all the car dogs. The 'pot lots', mom and pop lots were the hardest to sell. Still, I grew up on a used car lot and still speak fluent 'junkyard'.
You gotta remember these guys are basically operating on a shoestring and once you set the hook with them, they will not only remain very loyal, but will rarely ask the price again, if you do treat them well....and they tell their buds at the 'slammer chute'(auction). They are a tough crowd, but they do need signs.
Now buying a banner to spray glue onto a plywood sign is typically very 'hooptie', but I have seen much worse. I had one ask me to crawl up onto his awning to paint out the old phone number. Sold him a new awning, vinyl letters and did several hundred windshields for him over the next few months @$15 per car. He moved down the street and needed some real signs, his windows painted, a logo, business card designs,a website developed and even a truck lettered. His money was gold and he never again busted me on price. Take care of them, show up on time and smile. Their money is gold!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Preston!!!

Treat your clients well and they'll stick with you.

I remember driving 60 miles round trip to do cheap $100 jobs, on the weekend, on trucks that had been in minor accidents and needed some striping replaced. Those "loser" jobs were very well paid back by the times I drove the same 60 miles and did 5-10 trucks in a day at $600 a pop.

Usually I only got asked about pricing on the very first job...after that, there was never a question about prices.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!