Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Windows 10???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows 10???
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is...11PM on the eve of the release of Windows 10...

I am heading to bed with dreams of "sugar plum fairies" swirling in my head.

I hope I wake up with something good instead of a lump of coal...

Anyone else looking forward to installing and checking it out???

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are still happy using XP on our work,computers. Use a Mac for the e-mail and Internet use.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gee dave.........i thought that was your normal bedtime mindset)))))))))))))))))))))
you made it to easy.....couldnt resist

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just going to windows 7 here. let us know how 10 is.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right up front, I'm going to make it clear, that I'm definitely not a computer whiz of any kind.

But I have a good buddy that is. He builds and repairs computers. He even has a program, that allows him to troubleshoot my computer from his home.

A couple years ago, he installed Windows 7 on my home/internet computer, and I've been quite happy with how it works. I've left my sign computer with XP; it's not hooked to the internet, and works fine as is.

He told me, however, about this upcoming upgrade; and that he has done a good bit of research on it, and that it is a good one, that will simplify several operations and the ease of navigation.

I do trust his abilities and knowledge; and hope it does do what he said. He's never let me down, in some 7 or 8 years, so I'm looking forward to this.

[ July 29, 2015, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 this morning.

Computer Specs: I-7 4770 3.4 ghz with 16 gigs of ram.

I like the new Start button much better than before. It is taking some getting used to finding things for the moment.

Everything does seem to be running smoother and faster than before.

Corel Draw X7 is opening about 50% faster which to me is rather impressive.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 opened in just under 5 seconds where as before it would take up to 12 seconds.

Booting the computer up is about 25% faster.

Did run into a problem. My new Logitech MK520 keyboard is not working with Gerber Omega 3.0 nor 5.0. Will need to check into that.

Update

Downloaded and installed the new keyboard driver for Windows 10. That seems to have resolved the issue with Gerber Omega.

[ July 29, 2015, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a good one but why be the one of the first guinea pigs?

I'll wait but will never put it on my shop computer but get it when we buy a new one.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like 7, I'm used to 7, but 10 does look interesting.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-10-reviewed-microsoft-returns-to-sanity-125261921924.html

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess iam an oddball...............i will buy a new SSD 250 GIG,( http://www.walmart.com/ip/42394992?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227030247462&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=64750179729&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=102880517049&veh=sem ) load WINDOWS 10 on it. and then load all my programs thats need to be on that drive........and then use it like i do with a regular h/d for stuff i save.......this way if i dont like it, or some of the legacy stuff work work on WIN 10 i have my WIN 7 SSD hard drive still intact..........and just plug it in and iam back here.........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update Glenn..The keyboard driver update was a simple fix.

Shirl got her upgrade done this afternoon and so far things look good. "Edge" is going to take a bit of getting used to but all the other programs seem to work just fine. And yes, Win 10 does seem to be faster than 8.1

I am patiently waiting for my machines to get the upgrade, but, while waiting, I can play around and figure stuff out on her's!!! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Joe Yer not an oddball (well maybe, but [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] ) I recently put a 480 Gb SSD in my new desktop. Still have the original 1Tb HDD in it as a second drive.

That way, once I upgrade the SSD to Win 10, I can still boot to the Win 8.1 HDD if I want to.

Any upgrade to a new OS takes a few weeks to get used to, so it's comforting to have a familiar system to fall back on. Especially when old farts like you and I and Si are involved!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HeY! Watch tour mouth, Dave!

You may be old ... but I am only old on the outside ... I am only 35 on the inside!

[ July 29, 2015, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

I hear ya Si...I am still 35 on the inside too. On the outside?? Not so much...more like an old fart like you and Joe!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'nother old fart here and I'm ready to upgrade to W10 - I've hated Windows 8 since day one.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

reason i do the NEW HARD DRIVE + NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.........................
was a good way to go with the older hard drives as they sometimes had a life span of 4-5 years before they would have a problem. not so much with the new SSD as ther are no moving parts to go bad, but since they have increased in size, and pricing has gotten reasonable........then its a good idea to load a NEW OS on a NEW(CLEAN)SSD,with no residual garbage from older OS/program. LESS GARBAGE-FASTER OPERATION)))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Finally figured out the way to manually force a download and install of Win 10...

Worked fine and I'll post the "workaround" tomorrow...too late tonight cuz I am "celebrating"!!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... mostly still XP here operating the plotter, the big scanner, the cnc router and the internet, from 4 separate PCs.
Win 7 on two laptops. I don't mind Win 7 - glad I avoided W8 though. It's good to hear 10 is an improvement... I tend to upgrade rather late in the event, only when I have to.

Though I still tend to use the 'If it works fine, I'm happy to keep going the way we are,' principle. We still use Word 2000 and Excel 2000 - because they do all I need. I'm not a fan of Word anyhow, but when I have to, they'll suffice.

HOWEVER... the fact it's a free upgrade, even from Win7, makes it scarily tempting to try - though I like OP's idea of using a fresh hard drive. That might involve re-setting Win7 up again on a new HD though, first, to then do the upgrade.

What size is the upgrade download?

[ August 01, 2015, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

should be able to d/l.......WITHOUT AN AUTOMATIC INSTALL.
iam gathering from what dave said......if you d/l it..........IT INSTALLS ITSELF. NOT WHAT I WANT.....
like to have the program on a disc, cd/dvr so i can install at my preference. ill need to research this befor i hit the D/L PROGRAM))))
FYI.......
i went looking for just the d/l win 10 32 or 64 bit
found it here WINDOWS 10 X86 ISO....dvd...
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-10-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit-free/

[ August 01, 2015, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to try the download - 3.9 gig. an ISO saved, so if I wanted I can update both laptops.
The upgrade is somewhat reversible back to whatever you had before, within 30 days, if you wish - so it says on the website.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the interesting stuff about the Microsoft spyware... and them being able to go through your files... and the 13 security tabs you need to go through to stop it...

No freaking way.

It miffed me enough when one of the "updates" that Microsoft deemd to be "urgent" was the adware crap about Windows 10.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

thats been happening since WIN ME.......98 was the last of the individual program on your computer....but even then M/S could access your computer if it is on and connected to the INTERNET. best thing to do is NOT HAVE ANY INTERNET to a computer you dont want anyone looking at.........police/fbi/cia/atf all have tracking programs workable IF YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET.
dont matter what OS your running.

[ August 01, 2015, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!