Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Different ways of doing things....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Different ways of doing things....
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A local fire department needed some magnetic signs for a parade and the representative for the volunteer dept that comes to get them is an older gentleman, a retired engineer, the type that carries the plastic pen insert in his pocket with a slide rule.

I explain how to line up the top edge and roll the magnet down to not trap air or twist or distort the signs and mention how to get them on level. He proceeds to tell me about a leveling feature in his phone. I mentioned that you don't want to level the signs, but have them optically level on the vehicle...aligned with a major body line. He proceeded to tell me he could place his phone on the running board and get a reading of the deviation and apply that to the sign as he's placing it.

I nodded my head and tried not to pee my pants and laugh out loud until he left.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he's using the wrong side of his brain.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd make sure the vehicle was parked on a slope before I left. Let them fiqure out why the sign looks crooket.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope they don't run into the same thing I did, a couple years ago. A local volunteer fire dept. (in Florida) guy came in and ordered a pair of magnetics.

I did the artwork and the signs. They picked them up.....and then called me a couple hours later.

They didn't realize the doors on the fire truck were ALUMINUM. OOPS! After whining a little, they admitted the mistake was theirs. I suggested that since it was just a weekend display they were using the truck for, just put a couple little dots of double-sided tape on and then take if off after the show. WHEW..........!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aspergers indeed.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, one time I was lettering this '35 school bus for a movie. It was a rush project because for some reason they changed the shooting schedule. While I was lettering it there was a crew of welders and such that removed a section of the floor and lowered ti to get the camera angle they wanted. I was down there when the bus went by during the filming and saw my letters all leaned a tad and it scared me because my livelihood was dependent on me knowing how to pull a vertical stroke. When the bus came down the road to return to the starting point I saw the letters leaning the other direction and realized that it was parked on a slight hill when I lettered it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!