Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Does anyone really miss hand-lettering.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone really miss hand-lettering.....
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... pool signs.

.... a billboard on I-95 facing South in the middle of August.

.... a fleet of trucks in the middle of a field of gnats and mosquitoes.

.... dangling 40ft. from a scaffold on the North side of a building in January and you realize you forgot to bring turps.

(ahhhh....the memories [Razz] )

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss it sometimes...

Whipping out some script on a project...

Doing some airbrushed chrome stuff...

Lettering full blown race cars for people who appreciated it...

The pool rules? Not so much.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i miss the fun and creativeness of it..........NOT SO MUCH.....the stock car in barn with a single light bulb for light, chasin the chickens off the stock car and cleaning the poop off the car before i throwed paint on it))))) or the tow truck IMPOUND YARD SIGNS....18x24'S WITH 1 1/2" LETTERING)))

[ June 16, 2015, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were too many good memories and beautiful days working outside with no one over your shoulder demanding you work faster. Being your own boss and creating signs and displays that you could be proud of. Having the customer shake your hand several times with a big smile and a check. How about all the referrals that were worth thousands, the small job that led into a many thousand job. And a design that became the logo for a franchise and a fleet of trucks. You have to be kidding if you forgot all this.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I miss it, but I still hand carve which keeps me in it, and an occasional pinstripe job. Running the business has it's own adventures, but occasionally I will drive by a wall I lettered and remember standing on that ladder on a nice day in the zone. I remember my first glass gilding job down on Main St in the city. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience some of what most here had a life time to experience. I can tell you I don't have any of that romance passing a digital print or vinyl sign lol.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would gladly do pool rule signs if the plotters and printers would have never been invented. Hand lettering is what drew me to this trade, not making signs. I remember an interview with Glenn Weisgerber and they asked him why he did mainly vehicles. He answered "I'm no carpenter". A lot of people like using the technology, I'm not one of them. Weeding is like working on an assembly line, it's just work. [Frown]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like george......got into this because of the hand lettering. i was fascinated with it at age 11-12.(1956-1957). i also was able to draw very well as it was not something i had to work at, it just came outa my fingers.......and then in time period hot cars and wild paint became cool. ED ROTH, set the bar....for all of us to aspire to. if you could draw his rat fink, the crazy cars with the weird guy in it his arm stickin up thru the roof shifting gears....you was "cool." i happened to have an old "shaky jake" that frequented my parents bar. he took a liking to me, saw the potential in me i didnt know i had with a brush, was my 1st and only "teacher". from then on i was hooked. he was an alcoholic and was found dead in his car/office/home....in a town near us. this is stuff that makes the art of sign painting......more then hangin wall paper.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must live on a different planet. I have spend the day yesterday. painting a sign on a brick wall. Yes, 80% of what I do is vinyl, but my hand painting of signs is in demand around these here parts.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got into the trade to make signs, not out of a love of hand lettering. So I don't miss lettering a site sign with 12 lines of block lettering of all the contractors, or raffle shocards with 30 lines of prizes. What I do miss is the simplicity of a brush box, pick up truck and dog. And spring days in the boat yard, never being able to leave because one guy after another says "Hey when you're done with that come over and take a look at my boat".

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Bob, I also carve, so that keeps the creativity going.

The small brushwork towards the end of a carved project (lettering, outlining, borders, etc.) is one of my favorite parts.

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I want to go back to hand lettering 4 18"x24" NO PARKING signs with the county ordinance added to the copy or 4x8 Construction project signs with 24 lines of 1" copy in Helvetica? NO. However, there is a lot of therapudic value in working a brush and I do enjoy the oportunity to create by hand. I am looking forward to my walldog project in Delevan next week!

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and no. I love slinging paint. There's a great satisfaction when creating something by hand that other people admire, like Bill said. I miss that. But last week I was outside painting in 90 degree weather and the tiny knats started biting. That was not fun!

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Executing a beautiful line of text from a scratch layout, adding swashes and decorative elements as the feeling of inspiration rises, making skinny strokes with the tip of the quill and bearing down to achieve a graceful graduation into the thick stroke, wow, I could go on for days talking about the things I love about painting signs!

[ June 16, 2015, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question Walldog. It makes ya think...I think it's time for a nap.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love painting dimensional signs... always have. Doing the carving and sculpting is magic as well. Painting flat signs never thrilled me and the second door of a truck was torture. I don't think I've done more than a couple of dozen.

While some live for the smell of one shot and turps I never did. Acrylics always were my cup of tea.

We all need to do what we love - what we have a passion for. The rest we can leave for someone else.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do miss hand painting; although I still do as much as possible, not nearly like in the past.

I guess I always hated doing pool rules, menu boards, office directories and other boring stuff like that. But to take a sheet of plywood, and be able to create something I considered beautiful, was always fulfilling.

The Signmakers were a wonderful thing, when they came along.....for doing mundane or repetitive jobs. What a timesaver! About the time they came about, we were doing work for one of the largest builders in the Cincinnati area. Model home signs, directories, directional, interior features, community name pylons, etc...and they were 2 -3 colors with borders. Lots of 80+ hour work-weeks. The machines helped to make this a lot more bearable, and probably saved some of our sanity.

Now, I don't try or want to be busy. I've got enough good and reliable customers to allow me to spend the necessary time, to do a nice job for them....and most of it is hand painted. I may use the machines to do the artwork or make patterns; but I try to do as much lettering as possible by hand.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just why are there so many pool rules, and why do they need to be posted everywhere?

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

same reason you see all the YARD SIGNS......most people need to be told something........hahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30 years and never could hand letter...guess I could have developed it to some extent...but I always did dimensional work and didn't have the need...still I always admire those who can.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Joe...if most people need to be told something...what do you think are the 3 most important things they need to be told?

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the same reason that most everything we have today has PAGES of warnings, rules, and cautions, David.

Stupidity is rampant and encouraged. Common sense is no longer embraced. No one is responsible for their actions. And the lawyers are getting rich, because anyone will sue for anything at anytime.

The rules and warnings are to indemnify a property owner from these stupid and frivolous lawsuits....hopefully; but not always.

[ June 18, 2015, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wished I had the opportunity to learn hand lettering. I've practiced enough to be able to letter a pounce pattern, but never had the time to practice freehand lettering. When I have watched several lettering artists perform their magic with a brush it truly inspired the desire to do that. But to paint today, with paint that chalks and starts fading in the first year or two? That would drive me nuts to see that beautiful work look terrible in such a short time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

the guy that taught me to paint......was awesome. i have never been able to copy one his coolest tricks to lettering. now i was 12-13 when he showed me this....so it was like WOW!!!!
he would take a panel(cardboard)never put a pencil to it.get the paint and brushes.......the panel was white, he wanted white letters..........he would paint the background with black.......and leave the letters!!!! and it looked perfect.
i walked into my 1st sign meet in MARK FAIR's shop.....guy named terry i think, was woking on a 9X12" painted panel....was painting 1" letters on it, NO GUIDELINES, other then a top and bottom line.......and each letter was perfect......i didnt even get my brush kit out))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent 9 hours in 2 days in direct sun 95 degree plus, got paid than with news of great sales already happening, customer is thrilled.

Those are the days I live for knowing what I did with my mind & hands that another human is making a good living & is looking for more.

Life is good indeed oh now I heading to a Walldog meet in Delavan 1,500 miles away for a week to work along side others that enjoy this.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Opie,
That was Terry Teauge. That same weekend he did a panel with 3/16" lettering the same way, and he did it almost as fast, and better than I could have done with a pen. Also, with no noticeable change in spacing or letter weight, every line was full justified.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Hulsey does his magic on wall signs. I was lucky to work on the same wall with him. If Kenny Rogers looked as good as Don, he would have been much more famous.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
185000 hand painted windshields? 4000 showroom windows? I now work in my courtyard studio making landscapes. Duh...

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed my 45 years of trucks, banners walls and window splashes!

But ... I hung it up when my back got so bad that I couldn't stand up for more than 10 minutes.

Took a bit to get used to retirement ... and now I sure enjoy doing whatever I please, or just nothing!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!