Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Welcome to Bonifay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to Bonifay
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sick of these cheap little towns. Why didn't I move years ago?
We were commissioned to do one entrance sign, by I-10, at the south end of the city. They asked for, and we gave them 2 designs; one large and one humongous. For reasons I have yet to determine, the administrator of the project gave the smaller design specs to the DOT which they eventually approved. Then, at a meeting with town council, DOT officials, and myself, this dude tried to slip the larger sign into the plans. One of the DOT men called him on it and he tried to blame ME in front of them. Anyway, they got the project coordinated and, in addition to drawing up the plans, and compiling the material lists, I was to CNC cut the lettering and install when the monument was finished; Inmate labor would be used for the main construction.

They made the forms and poured the foundation; several tons of concrete. But a DOT inspector came out and discovered they had tried to use the larger plans anyway; he made them tear the whole thing out. I wonder if he blamed me again? [Roll Eyes]
 -

When the sign was finished, I was again asked to submit more drawings and plans for the other three entrance signs but these were to be less expensive but nice. So I did.
https://www.facebook.com/237891425708/photos/pb.237891425708.-2207520000.1430760511./10151380817395709/?type=3&theater
After stringing me along with more drawings and specs promising to let me know when the meeting was, so we could proceed, he never did. I made a trip through the city, Saturday, and found these sticking out by the road. Would Letterhead Fonts be happy that they tried to copy one of their fonts without paying for it?
 -

[ May 04, 2015, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's stuff like this that makes me happy I'm less and less involved in signmaking these days. I've had a similar thing to happen to me a few years back. It still burns me up.

I hope you sent the clown a bill.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, that's still your design - send them an invoice.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent him an email, this morning, simply asking him who did the sign; haven't heard back yet.
Yes, I will be sending an invoice.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Found out who made the signs; the inmates at the local prison.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be a win/win - you get paid for your design and they train your future employees.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

[Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spite of the headaches, Wayne, the sign you did looks great!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reality, any good sign maker could recreate any sign we make. Even if you didn't do those drawings, you did create the original. I've been asked to recreate stuff from other sign makers and I've had jobs I created, recreated at other sign shops. One thing I've learned over the years is to take it less personal. Sometimes we screw up and people go elsewhere, sometimes it's no fault of our own. But as artists we always have some attachment to our creations. I don't think based on the information provided you could've done anything to stop that from happening. I'd be interested to see if you do get compensated for your design time.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Ian!

Thanks Bob,
The thing that got me was, the guy kept stringing me along. He promised me the job. He asked for the drawings with measurements. He needed drawings and measurements to get his DOT right of way permits and whether he used those or not, I don't know. But after he promised me several times he would notify me of the final "committee meeting" to start the project. he never did and just had the convicts do it so he could get his signs dirt cheap. I was just aggravated because my time was wasted (again).

I do this sometimes when I need work really bad. I bend over backwards for someone to get a job and they leave me with nothing. I installed a jobsite sign, yesterday, and I have a lighted cabinet, with EMC's on it, in the works. Other than that, it's slow again. I'm going back out to the shop to work on my foam cutting machine. [Smile]

[ May 07, 2015, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your sign looks awesome which shows how a good designer can make a image awesome instead of ho hum like what they did on the cheap even with trying to duplicate yours.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Craig.
If I had it to do over, I would want to add a cornice on top of the center area.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!