Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What paint for mill finish aluminum?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What paint for mill finish aluminum?
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some existing 1' x 6' light boxes that I am routering out some .063 aluminum panel inserts. I need to put a duranodic finish on it the inserts. What kind of paint should I use? Any special preparation?

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy answer:

1. Degrease.

2. Apply an aluminum etching primer.

3.Apply whatever finish you like.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Si. What do you use for a degreaser?

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BRAKE KLEEN, LACQUER THINNER, KLEENZ EASY, or any hi voc paint reducer.....wash the aluminum well let dry........prime with a epoxy primer...then any paint you wish

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joy...I'd suggest going to any automotive parts store that sells automotive paints and solvents. They will sell you the brand of metal prep that is suitable for aluminum and the type of etching primer too.

I always advised against lacquer thinner or alcohol for "cleaning/de-greasing" because it flashes off so fast. You want something that remains on the surface long enough to "attack" the grease and then needs to be wiped off with clean rags or cheap paper towels before it evaporates. 2 or 3 successive applications are usually needed.

Rapid Prep would also work.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joy,
Lot's of good advice here. We do a butt-load of routered aluminum at our place.

.063" seems slightly lightweight, but it will probably work. .080" is more industry standard. I've never stud-welded to the back of .063". But maybe you are using double face tape and clear silicone to mount your acrylic backer? Definitely use 3/16" acrylic rather than 1/8".

Dave's comment about your cleaning solvent flashing too quickly is good advice. If you end up cleaning with plain lacquer thinner to avoid the high priced body shop solvents, be sure to apply liberally and wipe off while it's very wet. Here's a tip: use a 4-inch brush and a large coffee can to slosh it on. If you use a spray bottle, sometimes the cleaner evaporates too quickly. Wash and wipe in smaller areas. I do this over the entire piece at least twice, sometimes three times. Till your rag stops turning black.
Then I sand with 150 grit on a DA. Then wash again.
A good slower drying solvent for cleaning aluminum is Dupont Final Klean. It contains a lot of VM&P naphtha, a medium speed solvent. Matthews also makes a good cleaner called Metal Prep.
And I suppose you could add VM&P naphtha to lacquer thinner to get a cheap version, though Dave may know of a good reason not to do so.
At the Matthews paint school they discourage using straight lacquer thinner for cleaning. I think they are tired of their paint being blamed for failure when the real culprit is faulty prep.

Self-etching primers are available at autobody suppliers, like Si said, but I have had good success with epoxy primers as well, as Joe P. mentioned, though the dry time is much longer.
If you prime with epoxy, you may need to topcoat within a certain amount of time. Otherwise the primer gets hard as a rock and the topcoat has a hard time bonding unless you re-sand.

The main thing to remember is: Have fun! [Smile]

Brad in KC

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Thanks for the great advice all! Brad, we can go .080 if you recommend, although the boxes are small. We haven't sent the client the estimate yet. I also thought about getting the factory painted aluminum and scuffing it up to paint over it.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KLEENZ EASY is martin-senour AUTOMOTIVE PAINT product, equivalent to DUPONT FINAL-WASH)))))))

[ April 17, 2015, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit yellin' Joe!!! [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

HEY DAVE ..BITE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

You boys settle down now! (thank you for your help!)

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

LOL Joy..Don't worry about me and Joe...I'll drive down to Pensacola and kick his butt...Pretty hard to miss a target that large!!!

I know he's too lazy to drive up to Canada to kick mine...Plus, I can run a tiny bit faster than him!!! Not much faster, but a tiny bit.

We might have to take a break every minute or so too!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

been to Canada ..........and place you never been....like campbellton and delhouise)))))Quebec....
got 1 month of summer......july MAYBE)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago we used Dibond that came with a duranodic finish - nice material to work with - no painting needed. Not sure if it would apply to what you are doing.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Yeah Jean, love Dibond & Max Metal but it's too thick for this application.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!