Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Logo Design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Logo Design
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lenz   Email Rob Lenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been working on a logo design off & on for a customer for the past couple of months. So they e-mailed me after I submitted the design and told me that their cousin had come up with something they liked and to send them the bill for my time. So I have 11¾ hours. They think that I charged them too much and are coming tomorrow to talk "face to face" about the charges. Here is my question. How much do you charge for logo design? Flat rate or shop hourly rate? If so how much per hour are you charging? Just want to take an imprompt too survey.

Thanks

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Posts: 134 | From: Osage, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob,

I typically charge $75 hour.
Basic logos run $150-$250, some I charge more because the customer keeps making changes. On the average I find that a logo runs around $350. But if you spent substantial amount of time with reworks and changes from the customer you are entitled to amount of time you spent. I guess it also depends on if this will turn into a sign project from the logo design.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you guys request a "non-refundable" deposit, to start working on a logo ?......With the provision of additional charges, to be paid by the customer, in the eventuality that the customer exceeds the number of changes, to your design, that you allow?

I guess that if everything is clearly explained to the customer, confirmed ( in writing ) and approved by the customer, by signing the agreement, then there is nothing to be said face to face, but pay for your services, as stipulated in the agreement.

Unless, of course, if the customer shows up at your shop with Guido.....That's a different story.....Then, you give him a nice discount.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have a good relationship with a customer (i.e. no committees) our fee for a logo is 2K. If they want redesigns and lots of back and forth it is $150 per hour on top of that.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my question is......
11 3/4 HOURS??????
now it is either one hell of a design.......or you went way past the window to make it profitable.
my dealings with this "throw me an idea" and ill think about it, had to be the worst part of this business.
unless i get a POSITIVE RESPONSE from the client on something i have spent no more then a hour on........no sense wasting anymore time..ONLY WITH MONEY IN HAND would i devote 12 hours to any project. look at as $ per hour. if ya charge $50 an hour........your $720.00 into this and nothing else then a design. myself, i can see what these people are going to do......i been busted a couple times......but when they start hemmin n hawin....i usually just drop the project and go make money else where.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprisingly, I agree with OP this tiime. I get a deposit of 150 and "loosely" count time from there. I have NEVER been able to charge for exact time on logos. I try to charge what I think they will pay for it. I.E. what they can afford to pay. I did a logo for the city for 900 years ago and they still use it. I did one for 700 for a large food producer and it's still in use. Little mom and pop stores, I just absorb it into the sign apps. If I try to charge separately they will run to the internet for something free. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We always have a contract, in the contract is a design brief that the client fills out to get an idea what they are looking for... it gives us a target to aim for.

Our logo design starts at 2500. In our contract we have a kill fee, it avoids things like this from happening. They know they can break the contract, but there is a fee involved. We usually get 33 - 50% up front, depending on the phases involved. When they kill the contract, they pay up to the phase they are at.

NSFW - Be warned...this video is very cussy, but it's an informative video on contracts and clients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ February 26, 2015, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Rick,

I have to say: The contents of that, so awesome, video is precisely what I was referring to, in my previous reply to Rob.

Frikin' outstanding !

Thanks for sharing the video, Rick.

RD

P.S ---Rob, I suggest that you watch this video, too.

[ February 26, 2015, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

[ February 26, 2015, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought you might find this one entertaining. It is from the website of a competitor of mine. The names have been changed to protect the inebriated.

quote:
The best logos we produce come from your ideas. You may want to search the internet for an image or concept you would like to use; you can even use a combination of different concepts and images. Do you want all capital letters, letters in an arc, block or cursive fonts, one color or several colors? How about an outline around the text or a shadowed effect? Give XXXX your ideas, and we will make a proof based on the ideas that you provide and our creativeness. Logos generally cost less than $100 to design, and if you don't like what we do, you pay nothing! While some graphic artists charge hundreds or even thousands for a logo concept, XXXX can create a fantastic, effective logo for your business for a great price. Call or email your ideas to XXXX, our graphic artist, and she can get started on a new logo for your business.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have another cussy video related to signs/sign design and having respect for design and who has to see it...

This video put this guy on the map, very entertaining to watch.

Beware... NSFW!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9N3yj3gOck

Here is the same guy with no cussing designing a logo...
https://vimeo.com/113751583

[ February 26, 2015, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deposit up front is basic.

Dealing with Wall St. clients in the late 60s, I charged $18/hr -- $114 in today's money -- for any kind of design work. However, as has been said, prices for logos varied widely from that depending on how extensive and important the use was going to be, size of the client, etc.

Just for reference, Colorado paid $800K for that dippy new logo they bought.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Here you go, Rob:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/01/check-out-colorados-new-1-5m-clip-art-logo/

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo Davila:
Here you go, Rob:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/01/check-out-colorados-new-1-5m-clip-art-logo/

RD

$200 for designing the logo and the rest for dealing with committees.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a lot of hate toward the CO logo. I actually think it looks pretty nice. Expensive, yes. But not that bad of a brand IMO.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its not hate toward the logo.....ITS THE EXORBITANT AMOUNT OF MONEY CHARGED FOR IT.
we had the same thing here in pensacola. the new logo they spent thousands, to a design firm from somewhere other then here.....

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe...I gotta say that there is nothing "offensive" about that logo for Pensacola...But what are those "Arrow looking" things supposed to represent?

Kite surfing? Bird migrations? Head east?

I really can't imagine what they represent.

Joe, you and I coulda come up with something that silly in about half an hour and walked away with thousands of bux!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, the Pensacola logo obviously represents a school of Humahumanukanukaupuapua swimming by. Anybody can see that.
BTW have you ever drunk a Pensacola? They're pretty good even tho they taste like fish.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

my point exactly dave....I HAVE designed and sold better looking stuff............and seen so much better from the people here....that is amazing..and the cooperations settle( and pay bigg $$$ for garbage)!!!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Joe, I see many here say they would charge as much as a customer would pay, or as much as they could say with a straight face.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I quoted a price to get started on a logo, a customer told me got it done here for $5.
https://www.fiverr.com
Apparently you can get just about anything done for $5. I don't get it, but there it is.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Here is the famous Pensacola drink:

http://mixthatdrink.com/pensacola-bushwacker/

By the way, Dave, you should only keep the straight face, until you crack a smile......If you crack a smile, when quoting the price, it means that you are charging too much.....You should stop, then.......It works for me.

RD

[ March 02, 2015, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I love Colorado, I'm sure not fond of their new logo. I think Arkansas's logo is much better. On one of my hiking trips up there, I met the son of the guy who designed it.

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!