Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What is this stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is this stuff
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the name of this substrate.
 -
Kinda of a aluminum finish with a sintra(Hard Plastic) interior. I know I've seen it before, but I can't,,,,, what the heck is it. Although, I really think it 1in thick Sintra or similar product. This is for a sign that got vandalized and I need to get new letters. I didn't do the original sign.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks like a Gemini laminated letter. They make them with an aluminum laminate on 12 lb.foam or acrylic. They have 21 different aluminum finishes and 22 painted colors and various foam thicknesses. Look at pages 136 through 139 in your Gemini catalog.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

It's very possible this is a laminated PVC letter, Sintra or similar, like Dave said. You can easily find out if you are able to destroy one. [Smile]

We've made thousands of PVC letters at our shop, many laminated with Chemetal, Formica and similar laminates.

The faces are blue? It's also possible that it's simply painted PVC. When I put heavy coats of Matthews paint on PVC letters, the edges look like in the photo and the faces almost look like a smooth laminate, though they are just painted, not laminated.

My boss loves PVC because it's so damn cheap. For the same reason, he would never have us laminate aluminum to PVC and then paint it blue, unless it was spec'd that way by an architect, or if a textured aluminum face was called for. He would say, "If it's going to be blue, just paint it and forget the laminate."
Laminating the face at our shop always requires the extra step of masking the face to paint the edges.

I have always had mixed emotions about installing flat cutout PVC letters outside. Acrylic certainly yields a better quality and longer lasting FCO letter. I check out some of our more questionable installs from time to time (1-1/2 inch thick letters painted black, facing south, for example).

But PVC is here to stay. Until the oil runs out, of course. Then we will make a PVC-like substitute out of genetically modified soybeans. From the farm to your router table —sounds wonderful, doesn't it?
But at least we won't have to eat the letters. I hope.

Brad

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some extracurricular reading on PVC and sustainability:

According to Property Hive.com,"Waste, recycled PVC is broken down into small chips, impurities removed and the product refined to make pure white PVC. It can be recycled roughly 7 times which gives it a life span of around 140 years."

The number of products that contain or are made from PVC is enormous. It's all in the additives, such as plasticizers, UV inhibitors, heat stabilizers, etc., each blend allowing it to be used in a different way.
And it's been around since the mid 1800s, a factoid from Wikipedia.

What will they make next? Pants?

-
Men's black trousers, Feb 2013, Ralph Schulz

Apparently, you can improve the fit with a heat gun and moderate squeegee pressure.
Okay, I made that part up.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Brad - you're a hoot.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Brad, if you'll remember when PVC first came out, it would deteriorate..........especially if it were outside, exposed to sunlight.

Evolution........it doesn't now. It's much more durable, and holds up quite well.

Look at all the plastics in general....water mains in cities, tubing to encase miles of fiber optic phone lines, natural gas pipelines, and on and on......

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Good point, Dale.
It may be that PVC has a bad rep among some of us that is no longer valid.

The one job that I have been keeping my eye on is a sign for an optical center that has inch-and-a-half PVC letters, painted black, facing south. They are glued to a PVC panel of the same thickness. This was installed last year.
I asked my boss at the time, "Are you sure this won't be curling and warping next year?" He just gave me a blank stare. It was that look that says, 'nobody's paying you to think.'
Heck, maybe the sign will last forever.

But I don't think I'm ready for PVC pants, yet.
They'll probably make me look fat.

And you know that somebody somewhere is going to try using translucent. Ick! Don't think about it.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the 'Like' button? [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Brad:

-

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm......wonder how much PVC is in those...uh...."accoutraments" ??? [I Don t Know]

Brad, as much problem as we've had over the years, with PVC mounted on different surfaces or dissimilar materials attached to each other, I'm wondering if maybe those inch and a half PVC letters on that sign might not just be OK, since they're attached to the same material. Their expansion rates should be the same. OR...maybe the whole thing will go bad, all at once!!!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I still think that PVC can warp in the proper conditions,,,,
 -

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mudflaps are made of pvc aren't they.....

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

You know, I've got so many possible jokes in my head now. And most of them qualify as juvenile.

A calender(ed) girl?
A partial wrap?
Etc., etc.

Honestly, though, Alicia, how the heck did you change her that way? Is that the Photoshop feature that Mike Jackson described in the latest SignCraft?

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!