Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painted Floor Lettering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painted Floor Lettering
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, Saturday, I did a job at a local auto wrecking yard. Saturday is their busiest day. I painted their logo, 10ft x 10ft on their floor. Dispite the cones and caution tape, I had two oafs walked right into the wet paint. I made them stop, take off their shoes and get away. It was pretty funny though. The guys working there all got a good laugh, plus they were pretty good at yelling out to customers to watch for the wet paint. I also made sure to paln the job where I would be done by closing time.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were they texting while "violating your space"?

It's amazing how distracted some people are.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year, I guess it was, a neighbor gave me this funny looking contraption. Had a little 2 stroke gas motor on top, three pneumatic wheels, and paint spattered all over. I thought it was a nifty portable airless sprayer; turns out I was right, it's a lot striper. What am I gonna do with this thing?!? A week later a customer calls and asks if I do lot stripng. Well, as a matter of fact I do. So I modified my electric airless sprayer, and got a long extension cord. The gas motor was shot, but what makes these machines nice is how precisely the tires roll, and how it holds the gun part of the sprayer.
Part of the job was a 150 foot long double stripe in front of a nice hotel. Hmmm, I guess I need to practice first. So I took my gizmo, and a generator down to the lowest level of their parking garage, where nobody ever goes, and gave them some free striping. Thankfully, I already had previous instruction in using a horse drawn plow, and believe it or not, the technique is similar. (You lean a little in order to steer. Don't turn it like a bicycle.) So now, being ready for the big leagues, I went back up to do the lot outside. Everything was going splendidly, mahvelous, you know. I had cones set up to direct traffic, but I looked way down the lot, and some guy (I didn't say Bozo) moved my cones, drove across the lines; and of course he was followed by the two cars behind him. I started to lose it, then remembered how mannerly everyone there was. I finished swinging my arms around while choking the last words. Good thing that the paint was fast drying, there was little damage.
Then, back where I was before, I had 4 or 5 cones very close to each other, to cover a tiny section of stripe that I had to hand paint next to a speed bump. All kinds of room around this little coned in section (about 2' X 2') but no-o-o-o, somebody with sneakers walked right through the middle. They literally had me comin' and goin', like a cartoon character.
Moral of the story, if you ever do lot striping, do it on the day that the store is closed. Being that this was a hotel, they never closed. Lots of fun.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some signs "Wet Paint" would have helped?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, what are you using for paint? Enamels?
If you were to paint on wood floors which would you suggest these days?

I would rather stay with a water-based paint, so is there an acrylic that would work for bright colors, will be a scenery within a flourish like a cigar band pic.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being that I have the country's largest supply of 1-Shot and Chromatic paints (So I think so) I used some backgroud enamel paint that was put out by a local (Now owned by Grimco) sign supply comapany. I added some Valspar hardener to the paint, gave it two coats and it all went okay.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!