Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Wish you were here,,,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wish you were here,,,
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you were here as I am trying to tell my customer not to look at the monitor but to look at the roll of vinyl I was holding in front of his face. "Well that looks yellow",seys the customer. I said "No, don't look at that, look at this",as I was holding a roll of orange vinyl. The other color was Avery Silver Leaf. "Is that the way it's gonna look, that looks different" as he looks at the monitor. Again I say "Don't look at the monitor, look at the vinyl" "How are you going to do this" as he looks at the outline. I says "It's a black outline" "You gonna paint it?" "No, it mostly going to be all vinyl" "What other colors do you have?" The guy is standing right in front of my wall with the vinyl rack on it.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is when you pick up an empty tube, and smack them in the back of the head with it.... Just wants you to ask them "what's it feel like to be a (#&$&@ idiot?"

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol!

Mark has the best answer!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Si......might want to use a full tube!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont worry, they're everywhere. I had one for about two hours on Saturday

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Takes all kinds to make the world turn. I once had a customer ask me, when I showed him a neon sculpture, I had just finished, what does it do? In tried to explain that it was an a form of art, again he asked, but what does it do? I shrugged my shoulders, turned it off and just left him standing there. Oh well, I think we all get an oddball once in a while. Peace, don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or what about the customer who stands in your showroom, looks all round and asks "Did you make these signs?".....no silly the shop down the street made them, I'm just displaying them here!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one reason a client never looks at my monitor or anything else but my showroom of finished work. No vinyl, paint, sizes, plotters or printers. I'm selling images, not letters by the pound.

Never, ever, let a client stand behind you at the computer. You are no longer the designer - they are. You are just taking an order..."Want scrolls with that?"

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month had a CEO of a tech company watch me dig holes for a post and panel. His qestion after I had the holes dug: "What do you do with the dirt you took out of the ground?"

I told him I bury it.

Stupidity runs at the highest levels.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asked by a customer if white was bad to fade...it was in group presentation at a church...maybe 20 people were there...with a little smile I told her that the white I use is guaranteed to not get any lighter.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Your logo scales up to 4x6 ft. If I make it 4x8 it will be distorted"

"Can't your software clean that up?"

I really try not to be too critical because I probably sound like that when I'm talking to my accountant

[ September 22, 2014, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that one Chuck!!!! [Big Grin]

Many times I received detailed drawings of project signs from architects. EVERYTHING was spec'd out in detail.

Only problem was....they specified a 4x8 sign but the spec's added up to a 4x10 sign (or multiples of those dimensions).

Ya think I could explain the problem to them??? NAW...I just modified their "detailed" stuff to fit what they wanted. Never had anyone complain. They didn't even notice the "minor" changes.

I always wondered how they could design buildings that didn't "fit" and how the lowly contractors worked around the design flaws!!! [I Don t Know] [Bash] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the guy who says, as he points to the monitor, "Are the letters going to be bigger than that?"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

I think I may have to set my my camera next time.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray I must say one thing about the customer being there as you design. If you cannot sell him something you are doing something wrong. here is what I mean. It is the perfect situation to use the alternate of choice close. "Would you like this font or that one?" do you like the navy blue or the slate blue?" Once a customer makes a choice or two you turn and say "Are you ready to order YOUR sign?"
It almost is not fair. Now This is optimal on meat and potatos signwork...I am in agreement with you about more complex and expensive orders it can get too involved and the chances of getting bogged down are greater.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like having a customer sit there and watch what I'm doing. I know right off the bat what they like or don't like & don't end up making endless modifications. My customers don't have the imagination to visualize what their sign will look like by looking at one with someone else's name on it.
So, I pretty much do it the way Bob does whenever I can. I may not "finish" the design in front of them, but I sure get through the main "preference" decisions & explanations of what will & won't work, in a hurry.
I've found that what most people's preconceived idea of what their sign should look like is usually way different from the final outcome. And, you can explain as you go "why" you're doing what you're doing.
Works for me ........

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree with Ray on this one. My experience is that the ones that want to look over your shoulder may drive you crazy with too many changes. Besides that it seems like things I do a million times may go haywire when someone is watching. That's just me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is not my preference to have the customer there but for a yard sign layout why not nail it down and get a deposit while they are there?

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I've found, on a couple of occasions of having the customer watching......once they see the tremendous variety of options (fonts, colors, distortions, etc.) they tend to get overwhelmed and confused. They go wild, with " Try this" or "What happens if we stretch that?" Etc.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale... that's when you tell them you will try all the options for what ever your shop rate is per hour... easy money!!!

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's never been an issue, Dale. You just have to ask all the right questions first, & explain as you're working "why" something works & something else doesn't. Get the basics down, then get around to the personal preferences.
If they say "that's perfect", & it's something you'll be ashamed of, just say "we can do better than that" & show them. Unless you're into node editing, it'll just take seconds.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!