Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Why do they go elsewhere

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do they go elsewhere
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this DiBond "Rock" sign for a guy. (He installed it himself to save on money),,  - And then later on he ordered a printed sign from somewhere else. I know I have good prices, but I sometimes wonder why he went elsewhere for his other signs. But nun the less, he is no longer in business, I still wonder what happen.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the other side of the coin, perhaps he realized that his business was struggling, and didn't have the heart to order from you, knowing that maybe he wouldn't be able to pay. This is especially true if you insisted on cash payment, and no credit extended.

If those other shops did his work on credit, how do you know that they didn't get stiffed, and are still waiting for that cheque that'll never come?

Sometimes the jobs you don't get turn out for the best.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ken might be right.
Your work is obviously better; nice use of dark green and has more contrast. So it's not a quality issue.

My guess is he went with someone else who may have extended credit.

Did you explain your terms up front to him?

If so, and you made it clear that you expect a deposit and Balance on Completion, he likely decided not to invest anything in that sign , not even the 50% down.

Count yourself lucky!

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, it's the same thing.....cheaper.

Sometimes, it's faster.

And sometimes, it's both.

Quality is taking a back seat (unfortunately) to cheap and fast...today.

If you notice, in almost any area of the country, businesses come and go. It used to be an axiom, that when you started a business, you would be lucky to make any real profits for the first 5 years. That's no longer true, I guess; because I've seen many businesses come and be gone in less than a year. Consequently, these kind of people have no need for a sign that's going to last for 10 years....coroplast will do just fine.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends on the customer's life. If he spends his time cruzing the web, you are out numbered. You only have a few minutes to sell your abilities and he can easily spend hours seeing true or false pitches on the screen. Hard to beat that.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that someone else just solicited him at the right time. Or it could have been a referral from someone else. We have a lot of networking groups around here that are made up of small business people looking for new contacts. People refer one another just because they know each other, not necessarily because they do great work.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He got more letters and numbers [Wink]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a customer that I lettered a truck for, tell me that he did not know I did signs on plywood when he picked up his truck. I promptly told him that I would letter anything that would stand still long enough. Should have seen the look on his face when I said that.

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barter deals cost me more sales than anything else. If a sign guy wanted some work done, he probably did some swapping. That's impossible to compete with.

On the upside, your work is fresher, bolder, and cleaner. Just sayin...

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in another sign shop one day talking to the owner who I knew pretty well about having him do some routing work for me when in walks one of my customers, well former customers. He looked as surprised to see me as I was to see him. He had been decent to deal with and I think I did a good job for him. We just said hello as though nothing was unusual. I never did find out why he switched. At least I don't feel like I let him down in any way, that I know of.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that would almost be as bad as catching someone you are dating out with someone else,,and then trying to act all cool about it.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, that (above) sort of reminds me of when,,,
One time some guys dragged me to a strip club with them.
I really like women a lot, but don't go to those places.
Anyway........
One of the guys who was there with his friends....
Was joking and having fun, when in walks his wife or girlfriend with a very determined look in her face...sort of fuming
And sits down right next to/ slightly behind him.
He seems like he had a few beers, and it took him maybe half a minute to notice.
Boy was he surprised!!
Then he just started talking to her, normally etc....
But she was sort of ****ed, we could tell.
Some if the girls came over and wanted to dance for her/them
But that didn't seem to help.

[ September 20, 2014, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: shon lenzo ]

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, they get the wrong information or direction too.

Good friend of mine, businessman, has had me do a lot of work for him over the years, and we've always had a good relationship. His new wife decided to open a 'hoity-toity' eclectic furniture shop, and for whatever reason, went to a competitor (not really) down the street.....she was told the owner was a good designer.

Well, they got the logo and design; but her hubby came to me, and showed me what they did. It wasn't a bad idea for a brochure or on a business card; but it had white and grey Goudy-style lettering and border on a pale green "cloth weave pattern" background. The building is light grey. I told him, if you've got a bunch of established clientele and have no worries about anyone finding the store, OK; but if you need to have a sign that people can read going by, and need to find you (new business) it won't work. And I told him the sign should be bigger than a 4 X 8, because it's mounted above a metal awning about 15 feet off the ground.

Well, his wife got offended; she thought the sign was "pretty" and so they went ahead and ordered it. It looks like a postage stamp up on that building, and with the muted colors, it's hard to see the message. Guess what? Last week, I drove by the store, and on the sidewalk, was about a 4 X 6 chalkboard sign, that had the name of the store, done in red and white chalk, big bold letters.

Wonder why they did that? [Bash] [I Don t Know]

[ September 20, 2014, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!