Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Why I Haven't Updated My Profile Photo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I Haven't Updated My Profile Photo
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that I don't hijack Dan's house update thread right out of the known universe, I thought I'd respond to the observation noting that we all look pretty much frozen in time. Maybe it's because time has not been fair in dealing with us. We allow it to go on its own merry way without interruption, and it shows its gratitude by doing things like this to us!

Last year, I had foot surgery. I also had both hands and wrists in braces for arthritis and tendinitis. I had to keep my left foot available in case I needed to kick the bucket.

Last week, I had thumb joint replacement surgery on my right thumb and am now sporting seven and a half pounds of plaster and bandages. Perhaps the extra weight is from the telephone pole it appears they installed in place of my thumb! I'll be in "The Club" for two weeks, a regular cast for two more and then back in the brace I wore last year for a couple months.

The arthritis in my thumb had gotten so bad that my thumb dislocated a couple months ago while I was sanding on a board and I had to snap it back in with my left hand to continue working. I've been getting cortisone injections in my thumbs every few months for a while and putting off the surgery because I didn't want to go through the four month rehab. The dislocation was the clarifying moment when I decided I really was going to go ahead with the operation.

The surgery actually involves removal of the trapezium bone, then cutting a tendon from the elbow down the middle, threading it through a hole in one of the remaining bones, pinning it in place and coiling up the rest of it where the trapezium used to be. After a few months, it builds up scar tissue and fuses everything together, leaving a moveable thumb. It won't be as strong as a normal thumb but I had no strength left anyway.

The fact that I've broken my right hand and wrist seven times probably hasn't helped the overall situation. Some say I have weak bones. Actually, the bones are fine. I just have a weak mind--I still play football, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, go backpacking, whitewater canoeing, etc. at age 62 and intend to continue once I heal up.

This Friday, I'll have surgery for two hernias. The doctor asked if I had noticed the lump and I replied that I thought it was from all the ice cream I'd been eating.

I have to get it all done this month because the insurance rolls over September 1. Earlier this summer, Sophie had major back surgery for a broken L5 vertebrae--they had to go in from the front and back for her operation. I had to get her recovered enough so that the caregiver role could switch and she could then be my helper while I did my part to keep the medical profession solvent.

-

The bright side of all this is that it gives me another excuse not to learn to hand letter...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW David...Pretty soon the only original part of your body will be your agile and humorous mind!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] But as long as that stays intact you'll be fine and we'll all continue to enjoy your sense of humour.

I guess I have been fortunate by comparison...a broken leg at age 35, a torn achilles tendon at age 55 and a new hip at age 69.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I thought it was because you had a sex change... what a relief.

Just sayin.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than the plaster and hidden from view problems, you look good.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of the time I went to see a good customer in the hospital after he had a surgery... and I showed up at the wrong hospital.

They said, "The only Harris we have here is a female."
I responded, "He didn't have THAT big a surgery!"

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

David,

Plaster can be sculpted.

Hmmmm....

A six plak? Plabs?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you can answer your cell phone, you're good to go David.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep it up, they're gonna name a hospital wing after you.

I envy your attitude.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, your lawn looks great this year too!

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mikes said...great looking grass this year...looks like last year must have been a scorcher in Texas...but at least it was a "dry heat".

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

This summer's been quite wet and cooler than normal. I was in Wisconsin visiting my 91 year old father earlier this month and missed some 70ºF August days down here--something a Texan is loathe to miss!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David...you're amazing...all those physical problems you have dealt with yet you kept your sense of humor...however you might consider cutting back on the sports just a little.

[ August 28, 2014, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

I have a close friend in the congregation who says he has told me a few times that it might be time to "hang 'em up" but I tell him a couple problems that hit with advancing age are that both the hearing and memory go, so I'm sure he said something--I just don't know what it was!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my JetSki in for service last week and on the way out passed a 95 year old gray haired woman who was there to pick hers up.

Impressive!

Keep at it David.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

My father is 91 and my stepmom is 98 and they still go camping.

Their house in Wisconsin burned down one Sunday morning in March when it was 10ºF outside. When smoke started pouring up the basement stairs, my dad said he didn't know what to save, so he grabbed his favorite antique--his 98 year old wife, and they headed out the door.

I hope I'm as alert, spry, active, and healthy as them when I get to that age.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My father is 91 and my stepmom is 98 and they still go camping." ?????????? Where do they go camping, at the Ritz-Carleton?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

They have a small RV and take it to the lake. At their age, they're done with tents!

I just got home from the hospital from my hernia surgery. I feel like I got kicked in the gut by a horse and a shoe is still stuck in there... other than that, I feel fine!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it went okay David. Speedy recovery.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're on the mend, David.

You know, for the "Plabs", you might want to go with Magic Sculpt. It'll be much stronger (in case an irate customer punches you in the gut); and hell, it could open up a whole new world of business for the Magic Sculpt people! They might even give you a commission....on bodily embellishments.

God's speed on your recovery!

[ August 29, 2014, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Dan could produce some textured wiggly Magic Sculpted plabs. The only problem is that they wouldn't look tanned--they'd be rusted!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your recovery goes well. While you have some spare time you can learn to hand letter.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...David ol' buddy ol' pal, you do realize that at first glance, the second picture looks like "Trick photography the early days". The log you were talking about shoots straight up out of your cast. Some contemporary photoshop-ing would erase the bottom part of the telephone pole.
Get well soon; invest in some Michelin Man padding, OK?

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least the shoes match in the more recent pic. get well!

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!