Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » HELP....again.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP....again.
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...here I am again trying to figure out how computers work.

I have a new computer - Win 7 (64 bit) and have purchased a new Graphtec CE6000-60 but can't get Gerber Omega 5 to talk to the plotter. I've installed the driver, even downloaded another driver (64 bit) just to be sure and nothing works. The computer recognizes the plotter but Gerber does not have my plotter in their list and will not accept my plotter. I'm trying to run it off a USB port.

I've been dead in the water for almost two weeks and have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought would be to talk to Graphtec support and find out if they know of a work around for that Gerber software. I'm guessing that Omega 5 is much older than your new plotter, so the new plotter can't be in the list of supported plotters. Sometimes an older model that IS in the list will use the same communication protocols as the newer model. So over the weekend, you could pick some of the Graphtec plotters that are in the list and see if it communicates till you can get a hold of Graphtec on Monday.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, I ran into something similar when I tried to patchwork quilt old equipment with new. I eventually got my ancient laser printers to work with new stuff, but it was a massive task. It had to do with the drivers and special cords.

I found out the cord in question had to be a special one... trying to think of the name... (I'm old, can't remember squat).. cord on steroids? Beefed up cord... aaarg. Truly have no idea what the name of it is.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's fatter at the plug in area than the typical...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Raymond,

Its technically a lot easier when you only need to talk to a signwriters brush !!! - ha ha.

Good luck.

Brian.

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAY....it a never ending when you try to upgrade 1 aspect without the others....
like i suggested to you in an earlier post....would been simpler if you got and older computer with XP, on it and rebuilt the OS and programs on it.
i have 3 hard drives.with XP as the OS. they all can be put in this computer and will run all of my old stuff....no need for the internet or speed...work aint gona go any faster the the plotter will cut))))
and like i said also have a computer techie...rebuild your new hard drive with WINDOWS 7 AT 32 BIT........nothing you are running... is going to need 64 BIT capability.

[ August 24, 2014, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup Ray, I fried my old computer earlier this year and upgraded to Windows 7. Nothing would work except taking OP's advice and had my computer guy switch it from 64 to 32..now my older equipment works just fine.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
graphtec can read hpgl language if you set it to talk in hpgl,...I feel quite certain gerber has a driver for hpgl,...a call into gerber support is in order,... surely they have a solution for a manufacturer as large as graphtec

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha....I was just about to suggest contacting Tim Barrow for advice...then read the last post.He's the smartest computer/sign guy I know.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have contacted Gerber tech support and am waiting on a call back. Keep your fingers crossed.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Success!! Gerber was able to give me the necessary information to convert one of the plotters on the list to my CE6000. Everybody is talking to everybody now and all is well with the world.

Thanks for helping.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!